U.S. Made Ballistic Ammo Tests

Snub

Inactive
Does anyone know why numerous ballistic gel tests using foreign made ammo can be found on the Internet, but very few American made ammo tests are found? I'm looking for testing of 7.62x39mm ammo.

My guess is because American ammo is superior and they show the foreign ammo to show which ones to stay away from. My sks's and ak's eat a lot of Russian ammo without trouble, but I'll be the first to tell you that the American ammo is far more accurate, and I'm sure has better penetration.

Penetration, expansion and impact velocity figures are what I'm trying to find in American ammo. If those figures would convince me that it's significantly more effective than foreign ammo I would spend the extra money. But I've searched the Internet for many hours and can find practically no info.

I would think that many people would like to see the results of U.S. made ammo.

Some of that cheap foreign stuff doesn't shoot too bad. It may not expand, but I wouldn't worry too much about penetration and impact velocity.

DSC02399_zpsfbbde090.jpg

I make a 165 grain .40 cal HP made by Erik as well. I have a very particular blend of alloys I use that gives PERFECT expansion at around 950 fps with almost 330 foot pounds and a power factor of 157. In the last few weeks I've been mimicking the FBI's ballistic gel test through particular barriers they specify in a kit I built. I've made it relatively cost efficient for myself to have definitive results just as the commercial bullet companies do. I want to start marketing this kit but I'm not sure if the investment to make a few and sell them is even something people would be interested in. I have a few ideas: Make the kit to be sold and used by the purchaser, use my own kit and meet people at the range to test bullets themselves with my equipment, or allow people to ship me their bullets to be tested and I will video record it and send back the results and specs. I am an avid caster and reloader and I'm going back to school to become an RN so I'm hoping to make a few bucks to cover some of the $42,000 bill. Do you think anyone would even care to have their bullets tested at the degree a manufacturer would? To ensure their bullets live up to the expected standard in which they use them for?

Last edited:
because american made ammo on average is already widely considered to be better manufactured and foreign ammo, especially the majority which comes from ukraine and russia are considered junk. that's why you see a lot of tests which are geared towards either debunking stereotypes or reenforcing them. there is also the fact that more people hoard the cheap garbage during a shortage for the end of the world, and other nonsense(which is why nobody has seen a brick of 22lr for under $30 in 2 years), so people also do tests to see how the hoarded ammo will behave against marauding bands of pillagers and post apocalyptic raiders.

Back