TZ99?

StephenT

Hi, Aimsurplus.com is now listing a NIB TZ99 (South African) 9MM with 2 15-round magazines for $269. The gun resembles the Sig P226, but how does the quality stand up? Good deal or one to avoid? Please share any prior experiences with this gun.

Hmm. I encountered one of the CZ99s last night. The CZ99 was surprisingly well made and fitted. Grouped its shots well, at the point of aim of the sights. This one had been fired a bit, and the wear marks indicated excellent fit between slide and frame, and above average machine work. The finish was very nice, tolerances seemed fairly tight. If it is true the the machinery was moved to South Africa, and things are pretty much done the same using the same materials, then I would seriously consider buying one of these myself. I actually thought the thing was a SIG when he opened the case. At the price, I think it would be hard to go wrong.

Hope that's of some help.

Stephen,
I ordered one today from AIM. I'll let you know what I think of it when it comes in. My brother has a Sig 226, so I'll be doing some side by side comparison.

I didn't order it because it was a 226 clone. I ordered it, because it is a South African made CZ-99. The CZ-99 is the gun IM Metals copied, in order to manufacture the HS-95, which is the predecessor of the HS2000.

I would really like an HS-95, but since there are no plans to bring them into the country, I figured, that the TZ-99 would be the next best thing.

So, to the dismay of all the Glock-a-holics, even my TZ-99 purchase, is due to the HS2000! :D

Stephen,
I got mine today. It's everything I'd hoped it would be, and much, much more. The pistol is extremely well made. Fit and finish are excellent. Accuracy rivals the P226. The barrel is polished stainless. The trigger is second to none. S/A is short and crisp, at around 3 to 4 lbs. D/A is very, very smooth, with approximately 3/4" of travel.

I feed it a diet of FMJ by Winchester, S&B, Magtech, American Eagle, and Blazer. It performed flawlessly.

This is a true $500 pistol, hiding in a $269 box. Grab them while you still can.

If the mags fit in a Sig 226 then that alone makes it an amazing deal. AIM surplus makes me wish I lived in Ohio.

JTDucan,
At 30' off hand standing, I was averaging 2" to 3" 10 shot groups, which is pretty good for these bad eyes and shaking hands. I'm meeting my brother today at 5PM to go shooting. He's bringing his Sig P229, USP Compact, and Walther P-99. I'll take along the HS2K, CZ75, and Beretta. I'll let you know later, how it stands up to the "name" brands.

Back