Tyro, I have a few questions for ya! (and anyone else who can help!)

Mntneer357

Tyro,

I just read your great review of your Jack Weigand Ruger SP-101. I couldn't help myself, I had to post a couple of questions. Please forgive the inconvenience....

I also own a Ruger KGP-141 .357 Magnum, which I dearly love and I shoot very well. Nonetheless, I am considering sending it to Mr. Weigand for some extra attention. It functions flawlessly already, but I think I might want to "take it up a notch" so to speak.

What is the turn-around time on guns sent to Weigand Customs? (I live in South Carolina) Is there any sort of warranty on the services/alterations they make to your pistol or will Ruger still care for your gun? Also, are you more of a revolver guy or an auto guy?

The reason I ask that last question is because, sometime in the next 12 months, I plan to add some sort of handgun to my inventory. Concealed carry is not a *big* concern as I am not yet licensed for that. As I am tall and lanky, I can pretty well hide things under a shirt or jacket, if needs be. *BUT* this firearm *may* stay locked up in my auto when I go out late at night. The handguns I am considering are:

a. *Another* Ruger GP-100 (this one with a 3" tube)
b. Ruger P-97 .45 (provided I can handle the recoil)
or maybe
c. Glock 31 .357 SIG (this is a very slim chance)

Any thoughts or constructive criticism??

Kindest Regards,
Mntneer357

Mntneer357,

In response to your questions:

"What is the turn-around time on guns sent to Weigand Customs?"

My experience in terms of turn around time for the KGP-141 I sent to Jack Weigand is quite atypical and would not apply in your case. At the time I sent my KGP-141 to Jack, Ashley Outdoors had not yet made a sight that would fit a GP100; but I had learned from Ashley Outdoors that they were working on it and would have one available "early next year [=2001]". I just told Jack to keep the KGP-141 until AO produced the sight, and then to get it from them and install it.

"Is there any sort of warranty on the services/alterations they make to your pistol or will Ruger still care for your gun?"

I never asked about a warrenty from Jack, and don't know what his policy is. Ruger provides no warrenty (so as to avoid any hassles re the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act), so there is no warrenty to be voided. The Ruger instruction manual does say "Do not alter any part or add or substitute parts or accessories not made by Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc." I don't know how they would handle any problem with a gun that had been modified by a gunsmith. Good questions, to which I had not given any thought. I'm a rather naive, trusting soul...

The best advice I can give re your questions about Jack Weigand's services is to contact Jack personally via his web site:

http://www.jackweigand.com/

Regarding your questions about options for additional gun purchases, I am not competent to offer any suggestions. Do you know what "tyro" means :) ?

Back