Types and makes of holsters you prefer

chrisintexas

What types and makes of holsters do you prefer?
And what do you think about Serpa holsters?
And what do you think about paddle holsters?

Galco and Aker, I carry every day, usually in a leather shoulder system, usually a Jackass from Galco for my 1911 or a Flatsider for my Glocks. I carry via a shoulder system due to the need to keep my waistline free for other gear. The Galco Jackass is a very well made holster, the Aker Flatsider is the most comfortable holster I have ever utilized.

Leather

I bought a Serpa CQC a few years ago and found it personally too difficult to use safely.

I did not like it for EDC but it might be okay for other tasks. IIRC, I found the multi-tasking locking mechanism put my booger picker too close to the trigger on the draw and knowing myself the added drawing tasks could create unwanted stress in a crisis situation.

I'm not a fan of paddle holsters. I prefer open-top, clip-on IWB holsters for EDC.

Leather -- DeSantis Speed scabbard has been my go-to for a long time.

IWB -- Stealth Gear Revolution.

Paddle holsters -- I won't use them. I had one, but it pretty consistently either: (1) made it impossible to get my wallet out; or (2) came off my belt when I went to put my pistol away.

G26, G42..Raven Vanguard 2..Both sons do too..G43/G45..'plastic'..minimalist and easy to get holster on and off, belt..
Galco cross draw leather OWB for my Beretta/Uberti Stampede Bird's Head

Pocket holsters, and kydex "taco" style IWB with "pull the dot" type snap loops. I won't say "one's as good as another", but there's lots of folks that make this style.

Brands, Mika (small maker -- one man shop) and Desantis for pocket holsters. For IWB, Galco and Blade-Tech, various small holster makers.

Not a style I have a need or desire for.

Google them. The Serpa's gun release button makes easy a particular nasty sort of negligent discharge. (language warning for the link.) Or, see here.

Out there on the Internet Gunsphere, I see a lot of folks recommending you spend a few mili-bitcoin more on the Safariland ALS, if you need that style.

"Meh." I can see where they might have a place, but I have no use for them.

Last edited:
The Glock manufactured belt slide cost me $13.oo a few years ago. Due to never having been issued a bottom! I use suspenders clipped to belt to pull the pants up. In the 4 o'clock position a Florida shirt hides the pistol. Or a heavy sweater for the couple of weeks it gets cold in Orlando. A plain white tee shirt next to the skin.

I like Kydex, too sweaty for leather, IWB, single clip.

Specifically I like Vedder's light tuck best.

OWB can vary, I don't have strong preferences but mostly like a simple Kydex belt slide.

Leather by me. Been making my own leather stuff for eons. Kind of partial to minimum leather styles. Not that there is such a thing as CCW here.
Paddle holsters are best used for revolvers.
"Serpa" is those holsters with “active retention” use a mechanical device of some sort to restrain the gun.

I am happy with Crossbreed Supertuck IWB at 4:00 oclock and their double magazine carrier at 8:00 oclock. They are not the fastest draw with shirt tucked in but I think that may be a good thing as it will give me time to convince myself that I really need the "tool of last resort".

Pocket~DeSantis Nemesis
Have them for my LCP, LCR, and Kahr CM9

IWB~Hybrid,two clip Crossbreed style by Tommy Theis.
Have them for my Sig P320 Carry, Springfield Armory XD40 sub compact, Kahr CM9, LCR, and Charter Bulldog

Leather - Overland, Warbird, Sparks, Alessi(Lou), I would try Richie
Kydex - Garrett Industries, Aries Tactical Shoulder Holster, Comp-tac, Raw Dawg Tactical,

So those are the key names. I really pick what I buy by the design. It has to be absolutely safe, give a full grip when new(or after a minor trim), be secure, and be comfortable.

Serpa has high danger potential due to the trigger button and people carrying so many safety less pistols. That is a recipe for disaster.

I have had a paddle holster for the nightstand, but find them unusable for ccw.

I had an Ayoob Rear Guard from Mitch Rosen for my Sig P229 that was a IWB SOB holster. Drawing was NOT easy as the leather would bind to the gun unless it was drawn straight out. The holster only had a single belt loop as it was designed to move some to be more comfortable. For that reason, I prefer kydex holsters that allow the firearm to be draw quickly and easily. I also prefer the thin holsters that have less chance of printing. I actually have a Crossbreed that has a leather back that sits flat against the body, but a kydex shell that makes drawing very easy. I carry concealed so retention is not really a concern as long as the gun does not fall out.

Leather- El Paso Saddlery "Street Combat" (OWB)

Paddle- don't use 'em

IWB - Don Hume carried about 2 o'clock (rarely used)

Pocket - Galco or homemade (my preferred carry for my J frames)

Shoulder - Upside down either a Null SKR or a Bianchi (mainly for long car trips)

Kydex for competition, leather for belt carry, use a couple nylon ones for pocket carry. Not fussy about brands. A holster is a pouch to carry a gun in.

Back