Type of Scope Mount, .30/30

Jorah

Good Day.

I recently had some work done on my old Marlin .30/30, which I bought last year from a pawn shop. I've been through various adventures with this gun, which is my first rifle larger than a .22. All the adventures have had to do with fixing problems I couldn't see when I bought the gun, such as a broken scope, bent lever, and so on.

Now, to my question: After I paid for the repair to the lever, the gunsmith sort of blurted out that "those scope mounts are the worst trash." These mounts are shaped like hoops or short tubes, and the scope sits up about an inch above the iron sights. I've kinda liked knowing the iron sights were available if anything was to happen to the scope when I really needed the gun, and I've practiced shooting both ways. The 'smith's main point was that type of mount is made from aluminum and the POA will drift around since the aluminum isn't tough enough to hold the scope true.

A: Is this true?
B: If true, are there better mounts which will still allow me the option of using the iron sites?
C: If I need to go to "normal" scope mounts, is there a brand or style I should look for? This gun is a combo plinker/TEOTWAWKI, not a hunting weapon.

Thanks for any comments... and thanks for all the great feedback on my Garand question last week... I'm going to order one as soon as I can get the money together.

-Jorah

------------------

Back