Tyler Trigger Shoe Question

Wigwam

I recently inherited a few firearms and I decided to join the NRA, take a class, clean the guns and equip them with classic additions. One such addition was adding T Grips and trigger shoes to a Ruger Security Six. This from advice I gleaned from a old Chic Gaylord book called "Combat Handgunnery". This book was spake highly of by the great Massad Ayoob in a book of his that I bought on a whim when I was a member of the Military Book Club,...... which was about a decade ago.

Anyway I decided to join this forum because I browsed here weeks ago, before joining today, trying to find info about the Tyler T-Grip corp before I spent any money...... which I have none to waste. Especially on online purchases.

So I was reassured by what I read here. And I went on to order T Grips and Trigger shoes. I ordered and , sure enough, today my T-Grips and trigger shoes arrived as shown and described.

The T grips were not hard to find installation info on, and that was a simple and straightforward process, but the trigger shoes was more obscure.

So my question is ....Is putting the trigger shoes on as straightforward as simply slapping them on the trigger and tightening them, or am I missing something...I mean should I field strip the Ruger, and remove the trigger and put it on, or can it be done with no disassembly at all.

Every trigger shoe I have just slipped on the trigger and held by the teeny little set screws.

Note that, 1960 Chic Gaylord notwithstanding, all holster makers and most gunmakers now warn against trigger shoes on duty or defense weapons.
They worry, respectively, that it might snag on a holster and cause a leg shot; or slip out of position and prevent firing when you need it.

A trigger shoe spreads out the force required to pull the trigger, making the trigger pull seem lighter. I have put on several, but eventually gave up on them because I wanted a better "feel" to the trigger. (Also, they leave two little marks on the trigger, which can look like heck when the shoe is removed.)

Both those gadgets are in the "to each his own" category. Some like them, some don't.

Jim

Thanks for the prompt replies and advice. I actually thought I asked a stupid question, but you guys have answers that provided me information that I had not previously heard.

I did make a mistake in my initial question though. Chics book is titled "Handgunners Guide" not "Combat Handgunnery".....that is actually a different book altogether.

Anyway I figured out how to install the trigger shoes by looking closely at an illustration in the Handgunners Guide book.

After getting everything installed I noticed a immediate fit and feel that was much better. The triggers shoes were sized and made for my specific model....but I do see where the snagging concern lies as they do go slightly beyond the trigger guard.

But I do not intend to use this gun for carry at all. This will only be my target and competition gun as I am really interested in local IDPA and other forms of competition shooting.

Although I do want to try my hand at hunting with it as well. I read a book by James Ayers called "The Complete Gun Owner", and within its pages he speaks of taking his first Elk with a .357 Magnum Handgun.....albeit a Smith&Wesson.

Other than that it may serve as a bedside gun. I mean, when I inherited it, I noticed that my Dad had 6 bullets in it that were different from the ones in the box of Remington magnums that were with it.

So, yea, those are reserved for a invader. I hope I never have to fire any.

Thanks again for the replies and advice.

trigger shoes were a big deal in the 50,s and 60,s A bunch of trap shoots used them until the trap guns came with good wide triggers . I have used trigger shoes I never thought it was the best idea and do not miss them .

My trap guns are the last bastion of trigger shoes here.

I don't know what or how old your Dad's "booger bullets" might be.
And if you don't know, it is time to buy some fresh hollowpoints.

S&W addressed the "problem" with wide target hammer and target trigger, but were careful not to make the trigger wider than the trigger guard.

Jim

Well thanks for putting things into historical context. Still, though, I am pretty satisfied with the feel of this magnificent tool now. So I won't be changing anything.

As for the bullets, I think they will work just fine. When I took the class and was at the range I, used two of the other inherited pieces, still with old ammo. And the ammo worked just fine.

And though I have yet to fire this .357, when I do I will use the box old Remington ammo, which I am sure will fire.....thus reassuring me of the 6 other rounds.

But, again, I really only desire to use this for target competition and perhaps on a well planned and special occasion hunt for a big game trophy.

Which, if I actually get I would harvest & use as much as I could of every piece of the animal....... hide, bones, meat and all. Unless it was wild boar, as I would eat the meat, but I'm not quite sure how the rest of the animal is used.

Maybe I'd made a weird football out of it.

Anyway I see photos in magazines of guys that go on safaris and such, posing by Cape buffalo, this or that trophy and I can't help but wonder "What did they do with the meat, the hide, the bones....ect"

Anyway I appreciate the advice, and I did provide a photo of my Tyler equipped forearm as a way of reassuring others of the Tyler MFG co. status, though I am in no way shape or form affiliated with them. Just a very satisfied customer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 42
If concerned about the "too wide for the trigger guard" issue there is no rule that says you can't cut them down to size. The fun part is the trimming the screws (or finding slightly shorter ones...).

Just remember, friends don't let friends Dremel drunk.

"...as straightforward as..." Yep. Had one on my '03A4(fits the M1 Rifle and M-14 too) and my Inglis BHP. Not Tyler's though. Not that it matters. Eventually took 'em off both. They don't really enhance the trigger pull much, but you can 'feel' the trigger a bit better.
Absolutely would not pay $30 for one.

I really only desire to use this for target competition...

NRA, IDPA, and USPSA have specific revolver competitive divisions.
It is a challenge, but worth the effort.

Which, if I actually get I would harvest & use as much as I could of every piece of the animal....... hide, bones, meat and all. Unless it was wild boar, as I would eat the meat, but I'm not quite sure how the rest of the animal is used.

Game is by definition, edible, and your own buckskin (pigskin?) a nice addition. I don't know of much use for animal bone these days.

Most of the "wild boar" seen in the USA are feral hogs, the old European strains crossbred and diluted to practically nothing. But a big boar or at least his tushes can still be an impressive trophy.

Note that feral hogs are considered varmints in most areas and may be killed as pests with no limit and no closed season. In fact, in my state (Alabama) if you capture feral swine alive, it is illegal to release them back into the wild.

Anyway I see photos in magazines of guys that go on safaris and such, posing by Cape buffalo, this or that trophy and I can't help but wonder "What did they do with the meat, the hide, the bones....ect"

The natives are always glad to get free meat and hide.
Also, in most countries other than the USA, game is a commercial proposition and is bought and sold like any other meat.
A friend on a shoestring African hunt - his friend was a registered guide in their hunt area, so they just got licenses, rented a truck and went hunting as you would here - traded a good deal of game to the typically Indian run stores for Cokes and other canned goods.

I was fortunate to buy my Grips and Trigger Shoes right before the price increase. When I bought mine the site said that May would be the month that the price would be increased.

I guess they do OK though. Probably the T Grip makes up the bulk of the business. But, obviously, Tyler MFG has their fans and advocates.

Now I did some brief looking around and I guess IDPA did away with the ESR division. Though I am not sure about the SSR.

Again,I don't know really much about the divisions and what they mean, yet. But I would like to know if T Grips and trigger shoes count as real enhancements? Or would the revolver still be considered "stock" with those minor changes?

Anyway this is probably the wrong place to ask this question, so ill go to the proper section here.

Thanks for the replies though.

IDPA combined SSR and ESR back into REV. They still specify speedloader and moonclip guns separately but scores are combined in the match results.

I can't see any reason for a T-Grip to not be considered an acceptable "change in grip".

You are on your own with the trigger shoe. Maybe it will be considered "Action work to enhance the trigger pull" no real difference from a smoothed trigger or a trigger stop. Maybe.
Or probably not noticed at all if you don't bring it up.
But it is up to you to be sure it does not hang on the holster.

Thanks for the clarification!

And if I have any more questions I will post a new thread in the proper forum. Now in my area there is a local sportsmen's club that holds IDPA competitions, but I haven't contacted them yet. I figure I will glean as much as I can from online sources before I go bog them down with questions in person. So I may from time to time make a thread if there is something I don't understand.

Thanks again!

The only trigger shoe I have experience with is on an old Trooper, didn't like it, not enough room for my finger plus a narrow trigger works better for me for double action, I don't like the wide triggers from S&W. So far the narrow standard trigger works best for me. Try both ways before you decide.

While reading a research article about trigger malfunction phenomena I learned about the eventual abandonement of trigger shoes by the early producers of these products.
It seems as though the terrific liability involved with commercial production and marketing of such products that resulted in adding weight to the lever (trigger) of the mechanism resulted in some unintended discharges.
The use of these add-ons to other than purely target arms is too fraught with peril of lawsuit. When hunting & otherwise recreational usage firearms with trigger shoes too often had trigger release occur due to additional inertia(?) when said gun(s) happen to be dropped on the butt stock ended with injury and/or death.....
You get the picture ?

Back