TX22 Question

rpseraph

Someone that has a TX22, question for you!

I have been looking at getting a 22LR pistol for a number of females that would like me to take them shooting (my wife's friends, not looking for ladies :D) I am also looking for a pistol to begin with training my 8-yr old.

The question: Is the full-size nature of the TX22 too big for women and/or kids? Would I be better served getting an MP 22 Compact or SR22?

That 16-rd capacity, low price, and rave reviews make the TX22 so tempting!

For women and relatively older kids (age 12 or so), the TX22 is a great choice. Smaller kids might have a little issue with the grip size, but, as you know, the low recoil shouldn't cause the pistol to jump from their hands. And, for its more full-size appearance, it's very light.

I think the SR22 is also a great choice, but I would recommend the one with the longer barrel/sight radius because it's easier for new pistol shooters to get on target with than the shorter-barreled earlier version. And its grip size would be better-suited for smaller kids.

I can't speak much to the Smith due to never having handled one.

Hope that helps.

I concur with jmhyer. The SR22 is, IMHO, a great pistol to use to teach kids handgun safety and shooting skills due to it's features and size. The grip is small and the mags are very easy to load. The TX22 is just a tad bit bigger, therefore suitable to larger people but not really "full" sized. The mags aren't quite as easy to load.

Both models have handled every brand of ammo I had, even cheaper bulk crud that fails in many other of my .22lr pistols. Similarly priced. The Taurus breaks down more similar to a larger caliber gun, useful for training purposes . Not a bad choice here,

Thank you for the great feedback!

I think you both confirmed my suspicions... what do I want? The TX22. What is best for the stated purpose? Probably a SR22. I like the idea of the long slide jmhyer! Now to wait and find a good sale... SR22s are so popular they rarely seem to go on sale! They do make them in fun colors though :D

It may not be a deal breaker to you, but, if I'm not mistaken, the safety on the sr22 is backwards from every other pistol safety I've ever seen. That bugs me. I went with the M&P22 compact. It's been very reliable and light. I found it for $299+tax. I think any of the three would serve you well.

Back