• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Two users + One computer = problem

duck hunt

The new software won't let me log out and Shin log in. He keeps pressing "log out" and it says the cookie is deleted, but then the next screen says "welcome back, duck hunt." We cleared our history and everything, but no luck.

Suggestions?

I had the same problem logging out when the new software was first installed.

After clicking "Log Out" It would tell me that all cookies had been cleared. I would then click on the link to go back to the Forum Summary page, where it would say "Welcome Back, TheBluesMan! :rolleyes:

There is probably an old cookie on your system from the previous vBulletin software that the new software is still recognizing. Be sure to delete *all* cookies from TheFiringLine.com, the history file shouldn't matter.

Once you've done that, enter the site through the Front Door and then log in again.

That should correct your problem.

Duck hunt, if you are using Netscape you can create separate profiles for each user. Then all your cookies, bookmarks, and history is separate. I don't know if Internet Exploder will allow that.

... and after you've done that, the Logout/reenter method works well. I had the same problem to start with.

PS - The new cookie is called <yourname>@forums[].txt. But you must delete the old cookies as Rich says. Just deleting the cookies in your cookie dir doesn't work. I suspect a hidden or virtual cookie is the problem. IMO, the vB designers need to pay less attention to using cookies. They have made a simple process much too complicated.

I am on a network at work running Windows NT. When I did the above, it found one file named "user.dmp" that seems to have a summary of all cookies and a bunch of characters I do not understand. Will I get in trouble if I delete it? :confused:

user.dmp= the file NT creates when a fatal exception occurs.

Will you get in trouble deleting it? Depends on how strict your IT staff is. The file is used to pinpoint the source of any problems. Without it, it just makes someone elses job all that much harder if you are having problems. (check the date of the file. If it's months old, and/or you aren't having any lockup or exception problems, then it's ok to delete it.)

Speaking only for myself as an IT support person, anyone that deletes files that I could use to make my job of helping them easier (read: cheaper for the person paying the bills, since my hourly rate is close to a lawyer's ;)) goes to the bottom of the support list, so you could only be hurting yourself here.

That being said, go ahead and delete the file. If it is recreated, then it means there's a problem with the PC. Call your support people and report the problem. Don't fret too much about what I said above since if your visiting websites that mgt would have a problem with, eventually someone like me will be called in to restrict your access. At $150.00 an hour,(<--bulk time rate, off business hours could be as high as $450.00 an hour) it won't take much time until my bill cuts into your company's cash flow. When that happens, expect fewer bennies, and lower raises or to be called in on the carpet depending on your employer.

Back