Two part Ruger MK II question.

Keeper

My front sight keeps coming lose and I am going to use some blue lock tight to keep it from coming lose. My problem is trying to align the front sight correctly. Overtime I go to tighten it down it looks like it is canted to the right when I line up the front sights. I was going to use some shims but I am not sure how to go about it. Second problem, how do you adjust the Ruger MK II adjustable rear sights. What directions to move low and left to center? Also is the accuracy kit from Volquartsen on the On Target sight worth it for around 80.00 for the Ruger MK II? Sorry, I guess that was three questions. :)

Thanks for the help.

Blue loc-tite isn't likely to work well with something like a sight. You'd probably do better to 1) send it to Ruger to get it fixed, or 2) take it to a local gunsmith and let him resolve the problems.

(Taking it to a local gunsmith might be cheaper, as this ought not take more than a few minutes to fix, while shipping the gun to Ruger is going to cost at least $25, by UPS Next Day Air.) The dealer where you bought COULD ship it back to Ruger for you by US Mail fairly cheaply, if he was a good guy.... Talk to your dealer first.

Once you've got the front sight tightly in place, you can adjust the rear sight appropriately.

You move the rear sights in the direction you want to move the point of impact. Use the little screws on the sight; the one on the side moves the sight left to right, and the one on the top raises and lowers it.

Look closely at the sights and you'll see little arrows and words. (I no longer have that gun, but I think the arrow probably says "UP".)

You should be able to figure it out pretty quickly, but be sure to shoot from a solid rest, so that you're sure its the gun that making changes in point of impact.

Bill from http://www.ontargetguns.com will be more than happy to help you with your problem. Just send your gun to him and he'll fix it all up. And yes, the Volquartsen accurizing kit does make a difference. I have it on mine and my 22/45 shoots 1/2" - 1" groups from 25yds, plus you get a smooth, clean breaking trigger pull around 2 - 2.5 lbs. You can purchase it from On Target, plus they can install it for you also.

View

It's not unusual . . .

For the front sight to come loose on one of these guns. I used loc-tite on mine and it cured the problem. Also from On target is a little metal shield that keeps the inside of the grip frame clean. It is a must-have part.

Regards.

AAARRRGH!!! Yesterday was the only the second time that I shot that gun. When I was cleaning the screw and sight to get it ready for some loc-tite I noticed that the hole that was tapped for the screw did not seem to align well with the rear sight when looking from the barrel back. I put just the screw in a little and sure enough the front site hole was tapped out of alignment more than a little. I am not sure how I did not notice this before but I guess it was due to the 10 inch barrel and lack of attention. I have already talked to my dealer and he is going to take a look at it when I can get it in and probably send it back. I am guessing I will get a new gun because there is no way that I can see to fix it other than tap another hole. After hopefully getting back a new gun I am going to ship it off to On Target for some work.

I have a Mk2 as well...I hate to say it, but
your problem does not surprise me.
I've never been real impressed with Ruger's
workmanship in any of the Ruger's I have
shot or handled. However, I have heard they
have good product support and bet you will
get taken care of in good order.
Good Luck!

Back