Two New Pistols

Gusgus

When I got home from work today, I had two phone messages, one from the range, and one from the gun shop, both stating that my "item" had come in. Since NICS closes at 8 pm, I rushed out right after dinner, trying to get to both locations, before the deadline. Well, I made it, and both of the NICS went through instantaneously (the way it's claimed to work, but rarely does).

Both guns are basically cousins. They are 15+1, full size, all steel, 9mms. One convenient feature, is that the magazines interchange. The first is a IMI Magnum Research Baby Eagle. It came with a military flat black steel finish, that actually looks OD Green under certain lighting conditions. The grip is very slim for a double stack, and fits my hand perfectly. Even though it is full size, this pistol feels more like a compact. The other pistol is a CZ 75B, military overrun version, with light activated "night sights", and a black polymer "finish" over steel.

The first thing I noticed, is that on both pistols, the slides ride INSIDE of the frames, instead of OVER the frames, as in most other pistols. Don't know if that makes any difference in performance, but the pistols just look and feel sleeker and trimmer.

To make a short story long ;), since I was already at the range, I broke one of my cardinal rules, and fired the pistols, before my usual initial breakdown, inspection, and lube. I put 50 rounds through each, and all I can say is "SWEET"! These are the nicest shooting pistols I own. Both shot tight groups to POA, right out of the box. The CZ was slightly more accurate, but not by much. I'm now convinced, that at least for me, an HP Mark III is a "must have"! If I can find a EEA Witness at a good price, I may have to add one of those, too.

I ordered both of these pistols, "sight unseen", based only on what I've read here, and at FFF. Yet, I have never been so pleased with a gun purchase (let alone two). :) Well, I guess it's time to strip these babies down, and get them ready for tomorrow.

Gusgus, you said the mags interchange. Did you happen to try this at the range to see how they functioned? I have a cz so I was just wondering.

Railroader,
The CZ came with a factory 15 round, and a factory 10 round. The Eagle came with only one 10 rounder. Due to slightly different shaped plastic capacity reducers on the bottom third of the 10 rounders, they exchanged, but had slight resistance. Since the CZ factory 15 rounder was all metal, it fit and functioned in both guns perfectly.

CDNN advertises that the Eagle's 16 round factory mag, will also fit and function in the CZ-75, and the EAA Witness. As I already noted above, I know first hand that the CZ factory 15 rounder works. I've also noticed that the model number for Promag's 15 rounder, is the same for all three pistols. The 16 rounders are illegal in my State, but I'll be picking up a 15 round Mecgar and Promag to test.

Back