Two new Guns - Model 10 and Beretta 84. Great deal?

Elerius

So, I found a NIB S&W Model 10 with a 2" barrel, produced 1982 :)
Went to pick it up yesterday. Came with the box and everything that came with it new, including the paper wrapping. The gun still had factory grease on it. This is the first Smith I've ever had brand new like this. It is going to break my heart to shoot it, but I don't buy guns to have them sit around and look pretty.

Another gun I had been looking at buying was a Beretta 84BB on Gunbroker. The Cheetah has been on my list for a while, but I wasn't sure which would be best- single stack 85? Double stack 84? And the BB or the FS? I held off on the bid and went to another (fairly) local gun shop on my way home. In the case where they keep smaller caliber used pistols, to my amazement, they had ALL THREE in the case. I had never seen even one there before. I held them all and surprisingly preferred the 84FS. Now, I know they don't import them anymore and the price has gone up considerably. The last New In Box 84FS I saw on GB sold for $880. I left with the gun, an OTD price of $420! The best part, when I cleaned the gun and inspected it closely, I can't see any evidence the gun has been fired :eek:

Did I get an amazing deal or is there something I'm missing???

great deal. I would buy a 84fs if I found one at that price as well. They are selling for way more than that with tons of holster wear.

You didn't list the price of the Smith & Wesson. It's got a pinned barrel, so if it's 1982 production, it came in right at the very, very end of pinned barrels. By '83 they were history.

I just don't care for snubs of any flavor, but that is a beautiful, minty Smith & Wesson.

There are used Beretta 84F's from Israel on gunbroker...I bought one a couple months ago and love it. Price was $289, and it shows very little wear. Shoots great.
In fact, I like it so much that it has become a carry piece for me.

The price for the Model 10 wasn't anything special I didn't think, $630. I was under the impression that it was on the higher end actually, but I had been looking at them for a while and never saw one NIB. The owner said he bought it new from the shop in 1982, however I just looked up the serial number and it is listed for 1981 production so that makes sense. It is a 10-7 and they were never recessed, correct?

The S&W numbering and dash system is wicked hard to keep up with in my head and everything blurs together.

There are used Beretta 84F's from Israel on gunbroker...I bought one a couple months ago and love it. Price was $289, and it shows very little wear. Shoots great.
In fact, I like it so much that it has become a carry piece for me.

I've seen them but I can't bring myself to accept surplus or used military and police for my collection. Same with the CZ 83 or Sig P225... I have to get a real 225 and not the P6. I guess I'm OCD that way.

The price for the Model 10 wasn't anything special I didn't think, $630. I was under the impression that it was on the higher end actually, but I had been looking at them for a while and never saw one NIB. The owner said he bought it new from the shop in 1982, however I just looked up the serial number and it is listed for 1981 production so that makes sense. It is a 10-7 and they were never recessed, correct?

The S&W numbering and dash system is wicked hard to keep up with in my head and everything blurs together.
If that was a four inch Model 10, it would be a rather HIGH price, but a snubbie K-frame is (comparatively) rare bird. So many of these guns were produced for duty/issue use and they've been flooding the market for years now as former duty guns. But not snubbies, so much.

No .38 Special guns ever had recessed chambers, correct. Only magnum calibers and rimfires. And the dash numbers start to make a little more sense when you read up on 'em in the Standard Catalog. Can't compare dash numbers across different model numbers or your head WILL spin. :p And of course, S&W is always half-drunk when it comes to changing the dash-number variant on a model. :D There exists no better evidence of that theory than my own Model 17-6. :cool:

I think you got a great deal,,,

$420.00 out the door means approximately $385.00 plus tax,,,
Even if it were gently used I still think that's a great price.

I paid a bit over $400.00 out the door,,,
For a gently used 85BB with two magazines,,,
That was just about a year before they became unavailable.

Nice find my friend,,,
You're gonna love your Cheetah.

Mine lives almost permanently in my briefcase,,,
I have newer and more modern 380's,,,
But the Cheetah is my favorite.

Like I said before,,,
Nice catch. :)

Aarond

Elerius-You've denied yourself some great guns. I have a Beretta 84, and two Tanfoglio "Mossad" guns, all from Israel, and they are all in nice shape, shoot great. A freind of mine has an 84F and a Browning BDA, and a "Mossad" too, all from Israel. The 84F looks new (Mine is about 90%+), and the "Mossad" is about 95%. All of them were pretty cheap, and have had zero issues.

I have an S&W 5906 and a 4506, both police turn ins. They look and shoot like new. The 5906 has all the paperwork and box with it. It looks like it was taken and shot, cleaned and put away for about 18 years. The 4506 doesn't have paperwork or box, but is in about the same condition.

Back