Two dumb questions. :)

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
1. What does DVC mean? The heading on this forum says that it says it all, but I've been racking my brain trying to think of what it stands for.

2. Not that it matters to me 'cause I can't afford a Glock, but why can't you shoot lead in a Glock? I know it has to do with the rifling but that's it. Does this rifling have other drawbacks? What is the advantage?

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I can't answer your questions, but remember: The only dumb question is the one that is not asked. :)

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

One more question, Scaramanga:

"Six bullets to your one?"

:)

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I used to wonder about DVC as well.

Per the IPSC web site ( http://www.ipsc.org/ ):

"The eight origins of IPSC shooting were developed and the motto - DVC - Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas (Accuracy, Power, Speed) was introduced to reflect this balanced objective."

Don't know the answer to your Glock question.

So thats what DVC means. Cool.

Glocks have a polygonal rifling as opposed to regular rifling. I don't know much about it. Apparently polygonal is supposed to give you a little bit higher velocity. But I guess that lead tends to plug it up, causing an eventual pressure backlash. There have been some threads on TFL about this. (I'm not a glock owner, so I may be wrong)

To answer your question we'll defer to Ed Siemon in the '99 Glock Annual...
"Unlike conventional land and groove rifling, which actually cut into the bullet surface to impart spin, the GLOCK pistol's polygonal rifling is designed to 'grab' the bullet differently. The 'spiral slicing' action of the land and groove rifling is replaced by the 'spiral sizing' action of the polygonal rifling. The bullet it actually squeezed down as it enters the barrel, forming it to the barrel's internal size and shape. The polygonal rifling imparts spin by rotating this shape down the length of the barrel, like a twisted pencil.
"The internal configuration of a GLOCK pistol barrel's rifling serves to form an excellent gas seal that results in both higher and more consistent velocities. However, the greater bearing surface of GLOCK's polygonal rifling leaves little room for the deposits associated with lead ammunition"

So, I hope that this helps answer your question. Mr. Siemon has writen a very interesting and informative article focusing on polygonal rifling in the '99 Glock Annual that goes into great detail and may help answer any further questions you or others may have on the subject.

Anyway, my two cents.....

Back