twisted gibbs enfield

twist996

got a gibbs enfield junle carbine...not bad but....
1)front sight, leaf and all, twited at a slight angle, as if turned on the barrel...how should i fix this?

2)doesn't like to feed ammo, really hard action, both going and coming...guns fairly new, so will this get better with age?

3)my second gun (same as first) features a really stiff spring, making the bolt very hard to push forward and lock down...any thoughts here?

got the pair as project guns, gonna mount scope sight and all, for a carry in my truck gun....not scared to work on a gun, but not exactly familiar with this weapon...any help would be appreciated....thanks in advance....

------------------
speak now, or forever hold your peace

Twist, the front sight is pinned on. You could remove it, extend the grooves for the pins in the direction the sight needs to go and then either epoxy or sweat the sight in place once you get it plumb.

You can polish the raceways and that might improve the bolt travel before the action begins to cock. As to the feeding this could be a magazine problem or you might need a small chamfer at the breech leading into the chamber.

These rifles cock on closing so you might find a lighter firing pin spring but then you run the risk of misfires if the new spring is too light.

Just this week I mounted a scope on an Enfield that the customer wanted as low as possible. He had one with a mount that replaced the rear sight and wanted it lower than that. I welded a piece inside the bridge, drilled and tapped 2 holes in it and 1 hole in the receiver ring. Then I modified (milled out the bottom) a 1-piece small ring Mauser base to sit level. He was really happy with it and is using it this morning hunting deer. George

If the rifle was rebarreled it could be that the shoulder was cut back too far and when it was tightned down the front sight rotated past center. Is the extractor slot it the proper position? If the above is the case you could set the barrel back one thread and re-cut the chamber for correct headspace. If you do be sure to check the extractor cut.

------------------
Fight Crime-Shoot Back

JK, I'd thought about that too before answering but if you cut one full thread the sights will wind up indexing back to their current position. I believe the easiest and best way in this case is just to move the sight. George

Back