Twist Rate for Aguila SSS 60 gr .22lr, Revisited

OK, it's known that 16 twist (standard) is NOT enough, in 95% of rifles, and it's known that 9 twist IS enough.

My question right now is, Is 12 twist enough. in all likelihood? I have a 12 twist .223 and a .223==>.22lr chamber adapter. I guess the answer is "you go try it and tell us", which I will when I get a minute, but I also wanted to see if anyone else has tried this, either with or without success (with or without keyholing). In need 0.00% keyholing if I'm gonna try to suppress it, which is the actual goal here. Question is, do I need to go custom bbl, and/or back to an AR15 upper with conversion kit - or make this Ruger turnbolt work, which is what I want to do.

If I go custom, I'm going to do it right and get a PWS T3/Summit straight-pull "10/22" action with a 9 or 10 twist custom bbl. But if this .223 rifle will do the job, I don't see the point in spending the money on the T3 custom, except to have a repeater. But I'll save money on ammo due to the extra time it takes in loading and unloading the chamber adapter one round at a time with my paper clip, ha ha.

So, stay tuned - if no one answers the question, I'll come back and answer it myself after testing - or try to. I shot some .22lrs through this chamber adapter with my 12 twist Vanguard Sub-MOA varminter, but forgot to try the SSSs when I had that rifle. I believe this Ruger I have now is same twist.

I'm gonna predict that it's NOT going to eliminate all keyholing, just based on a 9 twist being recommend for M855 (62s), and this is same weight but going much slower, which means less spin. But guns are strange - they can surprise you sometimes. Plus the SSS is a more front-heavy roundnose, so maybe...

Last edited:
Back