Turning a vintage Rem. 700 into a tactical project?

pdbertb

A friend has a 5 digit Remington Model 700 in 7mm Rem. Mag., 145xx, with a 4X Leupold M7 scope on it and wants to sell it to me. It looks to be in pretty good shape and I was wondering what the value might be. From what I can find it doesn't appear to be real collectable, so I was thinking of turning it into an tactical project. Do you think the older action and barrel would be a good platform for such a project?
Thanks for any feedback.

If it's the action and boltface size you want, it's probably in plenty good shape for a project rifle. Check for galling and those type problems, then go for it. Look around at other used 700s for value.

If you'll get it trued and especially if you'll rebarrel, going to a custom action might be a better bet.

Ditto.

Action should never be a problem.

Barrel; well, you'll have to shoot it, to find out. Some factory barrels shoot well, others not. Depends on what your standards are.

7mm mag. will definitely take you wherever you want to go.

Check Gunbroker for value, not sure about the scope. Rifle would depend on condition, but if it's cherry it should fetch at least five bills, I would think.

Built one out of a 1963, 300WM & love it. Whole buld was 600.00 bucks
Stock ,barrel.trigger, rail.mounts. GO for it!!!

Back