Turning 30-06 into something else??

wjarrell

I have an old Savage 111 in 30-06 that I've been thinking about turning into a project gun. It needs a new barrel and I was thinking about buying a barrel that will shoot something different. What caliber/ bullet can I use out of that gun with out changing the bolt face? I already have a 30-06 that shoots good so I want to try something else.

Lots of ways to go.
1. 25-06
2. .270 Win. (tied for second choice with #3)
3. .280 Rem.
4. 338-06 A-Square or Nosler
5. .35 Whelen (first choice, my favorite)
I have rifles in each of those cartridges except #4. Just haven't gotten around to it. :o
Paul B.

Lots of options

25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, 338-06, 35 Whelen, 9.3X63, as well as a couple of other lesser knowns.

The problem you have is that the 30-06 sits exactly in the middle. When loaded with lighter 130-150 gr bullets it will equal or beat the 3 smaller calibers. When loaded with heavier 200-250 gr bullets will equal or beat the 3 larger calibers.

When you look at versatility and actual performance with todays bullets and loadings, anything else is probably a downgrade.

If you just want something different all of the above choices are good. Nothing negative about any of them. I've owned all but the 2 on the extreme ends, 25-06 and 9.3. I've since just settled on the 30-06 and load accordingly. I don't feel I give up anything.

Just to have something different I feel the 280 is probably the most versatile option other than the original. The 338-06 would be my 2nd choice. Both can still be loaded to be acceptable for anything in North America and still shoot flat enough for 400 yards or more with 280. Both are enough out of the mainstream to be unique, but still very good.

I'd personally keep it 30-06 and build it completely different from the other 30-06 you have. It saves on loading components and when finished can fill a far different role. I don't know what your other current 30-06 is, but you could build a 2nd one as a lightweight mountain style rifle weighing around 5.5-6 lbs. Or you could build it as a long, heavy barreled long range target gun weighing 10-12 lbs. Or anywhere in between.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have reloading capabilities but my partner does. My current 30-06 is a Ruger Mark ll M77 that likes Barnes Vortix 168gr.

I used an old 30-06 BRNO action to build a dedicated long range 6.5 X 284, but I don't remember if the bolt face needed to be opened or not ( 284 can go through a short action, but I chose a long action, so the box would hold long range bullets without any fitment issues )

Aww comeon we mention almost all the standard 06' wildcats but no 6.5-06?

My 3 top choices (in no particular order) are
- .270 win/ 6.8-06
-.280 rem/ 7mm-06
-6.5-06

They all perform roughly the same, and the differences mainly come down to when you start splitting hairs. IMO the .270 would be the most useful choice. .280 is a tad more efficient because of the larger bore diameter, it's less overbore, and slightly more efficient burning powder, but at the same time, has a caliber disadvantage over .277 so you need heavier bullets to achieve similar sectional densities and ballistic coefficients. IMO the .280 only has an advantage with the heaviest for caliber bullets, like 170-180 grains, but if you're re-barreling anyway, you could get a custom twist .277 barrel and shoot bullets like the matrix 175 grain VLD, which has an advantage over a 175 grain .284 cal bullet.
6.5 is a good choice because it has lots of efficient choices in the 120-140 grain range but of the three I listed will have the worse barrel life, and lowest raw muzzle energy, of the 3.

If you don't have reloading supplies, .270 gets another advantage with factory ammo. Factory ammo is made for the .280 but because it's less popular than other 06 variants, it can potentially be more expensive, also due to the early semi autos not being able to handle hot loads, the .280 has a lower SAAMI spec pressure than the .270 and most factory ammo is loaded milder for this reason.

Last edited:
What will be the main use for this rifle? Anything based off the 06 case would be a good place to start. If you don't reload then a barrel chambered in .270 Win or .25-06 Rem would be pretty easy to find ammo for. Short action cartridges I'd look towards the .22-250 Rem, .243 Win, or .308 Win again for ease of finding ammunition.

I think you need to start by evaluating your needs. Do you need another hunting rifle or a paper puncher? If a hunting rifle, then what game - over what terrain? Etc. Start by defining the goal, then maybe it will be easier for people to help you get there.

game rifle

If you load, and are interested in a do everything caliber for bigger game too, I've always thought the 338-06 was an interesting proposition. I pondered just such a project for some time and decided there were more bullet options in .33 caliber than .35. The new space bullet .33's close the gap on the .35's heavier slug considerably. Never built the rifle though.

If you DON"T load, and you ought to consider starting, the .35 Whelen MAY be more readily available commercially.

There is an outfit with drop in barrels, (well, short of headspacing) but the name escapes me just now.

I'd go with the 6.5-06 but I reload. If you don't want to rely on your buddy, I'd recommend the 25-06.

It would help us make a recommendation if we knew what other calibers you have (if any).

Well, as you already have another 30-06, how about a 7x57 or 257Roberts. Both should feed OK from your magazine and certainly not a problem with your bolt face. Both are flat shooting cartridges with a mild recoil. Yea, they are certainly old cartridges, but darn it, they are good.

.280 Rem AI is in essence a factory round now, with Nosler making factory ammo.

6.5-'06 A-square is becoming more popular now, and is one of the best ultra-long-range rounds ever devised.

Someone said .35 Whelen - that's a great one.

You want more range or more oomph?

Some Savage actions are super easy to switchbarrel. They got the barrel nut fastener, just buy a wrench and learn to set headspace with replacement barrels and you are in business!

Never owned a Savage.

Long action is a very nice platform for the handloader. All the .473 head ctgs are in your ballpark. What do you want to shoot today?

Seems like Brownells sells Shilen ready chambered Savage barrels.

Might look at the .284win based wildcats for something gives you same 06 capacity in a shorter length. That gives you more bullet seating room for long VLD bullets.

6mm/284 is a real ripper or go up to a .375/284 for a fine large bore.

Got them .22-250 based wildcats for mild loadings. They started life as .250 and .300 Savage about 100yrs ago. 7mm/.22-250 AI would be a fine performer.

Got all them .308 baed ctgs to consider and even some euro ctgs. 6.5x55 is a real sweetheart...

Why not do several?

Nicest set of matched rifles chambered for all usable calibers based on the .308 Win case were all Sakos. Same model and stock for each in 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 32, 33 and 35-08 plus the parent one, the .308 Win. Only visible difference was the hole diameter in the muzzle. Their owner was considering a .375-08 but was concerned it might not have enough shoulder for reliable case headspacing like so many .375-06's had.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I still haven't decided what I'm going with but I have plenty of time to decide. What barrel company should I go with? This is just gonna be a hunting rifle so I don't want a bull barrel and I would like to keep it under 24" long. Obviously I would like to keep it as accurate as possible without spend everything in my pocket.

I've a McGowen on my .243 and it is very accurate and would have no issues using them again. I also have a Shilen in .250 Savage and ER Shaw in .358 Win but haven't had ti.e to test either for accuracy on my Stevens rifles. Just about every barrel maker out there threads barrels for Savage so you shouldn't have any problems finding one.

If you want bigger I'd go .35 Whelen, or if you want bigger and different .40 Whelen.

If smaller is then one of the fine 6.5mm would be my choice. Not sure if the swede is as straight forward a conversion as the 6.5-06. I'd look into that one first.

Back