Turnaround Time

MissileCop

Looking for input from people that have had their firearms reblued, and from those that do the reblueing. What is the acceptable turnaround time for reblueing two rifles? I sent 2 rifles to a gunsmith in late July to be reblued, and I have yet to receive them back. They once belonged to my grandfather, and I had hoped to have them back in time to go hunting. So much for that idea. I waited 14 weeks, which I considered more than patient, then sent an e-mail. He had been on vacation for two weeks before I sent them, so understood that there might be a slight delay. My response from the gunsmith was that they got hit hard during the hunting season. Since when did deer season start in August and September? And why should my stuff be put on the back burner just because a d***a** hunter didn't check his equipment early enough? I checked mine. I was told that they would be caught up by this week, but as I look around my house, nope, no box of rifles. Any information on acceptable turnaround times would be greatly appreciated.

Missle Cop, it depends on what you were told at the outset. I used to tell folks 6 to 8 weeks on any job. Now it's 60 day minimum. During hunting season and a few weeks prior a gunsmith does get a lot of local work, last minute type stuff that hunters put off all year thinking that they can have it done "while they wait". Things do happen that cause guns to be in the shop sometimes much longer than originally planned. In my shop the fall and winter months mean a lot more local customers coming into the shop, more phone calls, there are some days that between the regular business hours of 9 to 5 I don't get any bench time at all. And every minute that a smith is away from the bench is a minute that jobs are backing up. I can't speak for the smith that has your work. But the ones I know personally work long hours trying to get guns finished and back to their clients. George

George,
Thanks for the input. I know that most of them work hard at what they do and try to provide good service. That's why I sent my rifles to them in late July. I figured 4 months would be more than enough time to get the work accomplished. I guess I thought wrong. If they come back looking like a primo job, I'll probably be a little more forgiving. I'm going to guess that they're delayed due to a brisk business. After I sent them, I was looking at a website for a shooting organization in Arizona, and they had a link to this very gunsmith. He must be doing something right if someone from the other side of the country has him linked. Tomorrow's the last day of rifle season, so I guess I'm out of it until next year.

Back