• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Turn on "karma" for member ratings?

bclark1

Sort of going the other direction with WA's post about meritorious members - I believe vBulletin supports a "karma" feature, whereby members can be rated by other members.

Has any thought been given to turning this on? I've got to assume it was considered, and that the decision was made to leave it off. I can see why an admin wouldn't want to use it - such a function can give rise to popularity contests, "beauty pageants", and silliness in general.

That acknowledged, there are just a few people here who strike me as consistently negative, unhelpful, contrary, aloof, snobbish, etc. They're within the forum rules, and their points are even sometimes valid, but the condescending tone or lousy attitude may ruin their message.

Could this be addressed another way? It's obviously not worth clicking "Report This Post" for every post, and even if one did, what could be done, as the person is not literally violating forum rules? Alternatively, it might be the "bigger thing" to message the person, but I can't help but think this would simply increase tensions and bickering, and unless a large number of people did so it would not likely alter behavior.

So I'm left thinking that,over the course of months, if a user saw that a significant number of readers do not believe the user is a good member, it might make them get a little reflective. Or it might not. But it's just an idea, to motivate regular posters to be neighborly.

Has any thought been given to turning this on? I've got to assume it was considered, and that the decision was made to leave it off. I can see why an admin wouldn't want to use it - such a function can give rise to popularity contests, "beauty pageants", and silliness in general.

It was considered. Your last sentence is precisely why we've left the "feature" off.

Of all the forums on TFL, the old L&P was the only forum that was (had to be?) heavily moderated. It was the only forum from where the vast majority of, otherwise good people, were banned.

The new approach, hopefully, will solve that problem.

Back