Turkish Mauser, or VZ 24?

kjm

I just got a little money, and it's just killing me to keep it so I want to get somthing fun and cheap. I've noticed that SOG has Turkish mausers for 39 bucks, and that I can purchase a VZ 24 for 69 bucks. Does anyone have an opinion on which gun is better? I don't mind spending the extra dough on a rifle that is superior, but if there really ain't much difference, then I'll just get the cheaper one. You just can't go wrong with some of these guns under a hundred bucks. Ammo is cheap too. The purpose of the gun is to teach my son to utilize a bolt action rifle correctly, and to have a dang good time in the process. So who will help me decide?

------------------
Find out just what the people will submit to and you've found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows or with both.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass, Aug 4 1857

I'm not too familiar with the turks--they looked beat up at my Big 5 store. So, I got a VZ 24 for 70 bucks. Actually, I got two and I'm hell as glad I did. The Czechs know how to build guns and my VZ 24s are great to shoot. Also, think about the Mosin 91/59. I'm getting one for 90 bucks. They have very strong actions and are in excellent condition.

Here's my two cents worth.

Go with the oldest one. There is a good chance that the VZ 24's were late WWII manufacture, and could possibly show the effects of a late war manufacture - ie poor heat treat, bad metal, imperfect machining, etc. The Turks are older (I believe) and were manufactured under stricter standards. I won't knock the VZ 24's, but I would give the Turks a serious look. After all, there is a good possibility that you are going to rebarrel/rechamber/modify this weapon - so you might as well start with the best 'base' material that you can.

Unkel Gilbey

[This message has been edited by Unkel Gilbey (edited May 04, 2000).]

I have a turkish mauser.....

Wish I would have gotten the VZ-24 like my buddy did. Oops.

It shoots ok, had a few misfires, and I think it's the ammo. I found some Federal 8mm, and it shot fine. Mine's beat up pretty bad, the bolt doesn't match, and it tooks days to clean all the goop off the stock.

When compared to the VZ, mine looks very rudimentary. The turkish guns are selling in Shotgun News for twenty-nine bucks or something. Too bad Y2K is over, I would have bought ten (@ $29 ea.) and given them out as Christmas presents..... Hey, maybe I can still do that, but I like my family too much.

Regards,

Slim

Vz24 has much better finish than the Turks. I suspect they are better guns (handier anyway). Only gripe I had with Vz was the tiny shallow rear sight nothch but that's easy to fix.

I recently bought a Turkish mauser and think it to be well made. No signs of rust on external metal or the bore. More than likely, the bore is good because it had been rebarreled. No matter...

The only thing I really hate about mine is that the sights are pathetic, not nearly as good as my No. 4 Mk 1. Another thing, that steel buttplate just pummels my shoulder!

Anyway, before you buy, make sure you can see it. I, personnally, like to see what it is I'm paying for.

------------------
For God so loved the world that he gave his onlly begoten Son...

[This message has been edited by ojibweindian (edited May 04, 2000).]

VZ24 should not be a late WWII production qun. In 1942, CZ started making 98k's. Those marked DOT or DOU from 1942 to 1945 are the Czech CZ made rifles. VZ24's should be prewar rifles of the highest quality (originally).

I have a vz-24 that I rebarreled for .338 win mag and I still have both eyes and all my fingers. I think the quality of the action is ok. :)

------------------
Fear a government that fears your guns

Hey, there guns are in my price range, tell me more. My question is that Turkish Mauser the type of mauser I could use to build a custom gun.

What is SOG, and where can I find out more about these guns.

Man, it threads like this that make me fall in love with TFL all-over again.

Heck I could buy the turk this month and the VZ 24 next month at them prices. Tell me more, tell me more.

------------------
Know Yourself, Know Your Weapon, Know Your Enemy; then Know Victory! ---DaHaMac

I have only seen a couple of VZ 24's lately, recievers on both were pretty well pitted along the stock line, who knows what the wood is hiding. I would like to look at it rather than order one sight unseen. Maybe this guy just got a couple of crappy ones. I have heard a lot of good things about them, and seen some nice ones, just not lately. The Turks I've seen were okay, little or no finish, stocks pretty well beat, but looked to be okay otherwise, no pitting.

DaHaMac
SOG is Southern Ohio Gun, in Lebanon, Ohio. They always have a big ad in the Shotgun News which you should be able to find anywhere in the country. I pick up a copy in a HyVee grocery store about once a month, have also seen them in Walmart magazine section. I believe SOG sends out regular flyers to ffl holders that order from them, so if you've got a friendly dealer, he just might let you look at one.
bergie

DaHaMac,
SOG is the place where I am ordering my VZ-24. My Gunsmith also ordered a Turkish mauser, and indeed it looked beat up, and had very little finish. The action on it however was very smooth, and the gun was in excellent functional condition. He talked me into getting one myself. This is a great deal as you can go spend another $150.00 for ammo, and have enough to wear the barrel out!
I don't expect a gun to be in pristine condition for 39 bucks, or even for 69 bucks. If it'll keep lead on a paper plate at a hundred yards, I'm satisfied. You can also go over to www.jgsales.com and have a look at their turkish mausers, and VZ-24 rifles. So far I've ordered 3 guns from SOG and they always are what they say they are. I recomend them to anyone. I only wish they had a website.

------------------
Find out just what the people will submit to and you've found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows or with both.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass, Aug 4 1857

I got my Turkish mauser at a local gun store/pawn shop for $129.95 and was not disappointed. Routine cleaning revealed a shiny bore and pretty smooth action. The wood was in good condition, as well. Also, no exterior rust was to be found.

The rifle performed okay at the range. I was able to keep all shots in the 7 through ten rings at 100 yards using open sights. That's pretty good, considering I hate using standard mauser sights. As an aside, I shoot my No4Mk1 Enfield much better because of the ladder-type receiver mounted rear sights.

Anyway, I would probably shoot the Turk much better once I put a Pachmeyer butt-cuff over the steel butt plate. Ten rounds into shooting the thing and I was flinching before I even placed my finger on the trigger!

------------------
For God so loved the world that he gave his onlly begoten Son...

Back