Turkish Mauser 98 question...

hhunter318

What is different about the Turkish 98's that Shilen and other prefit barrels won't fit them? I have a DWM 1909 Argentine so it's not an issue. I was just curious.

Shilen barrels are large ring diameter threads (can be turned down by a gunsmith to work with a Turk). Turk K.Kales are small ring diameter threads.

The Turks are good actions to build on if you can find one in good condition.

Jimro

After WWI, Turkey obtained a very large number of German Kar 98a (aka 98AZ) carbines; made originally to be light weight, those rifles have the standard Model 98 action but with small receiver rings to reduce weight. That was the origin of the so-called "small ring Turkish Mauser". In the late 1930's, the Turks rebuilt and rehabbed thousands of their rifles of varying models and ages to present a uniform appearance, and all those were lumped under the designation "Model 1938", which is, needless to say, a bit confusing to both collectors and gunsmiths.

The Turks did not actually make any Mauser receivers, but the arsenal at Kirikkale did have the capability of doing extensive rework, re-barrelling and the like. They also usually removed the original markings and replaced them with Turkish markings.

Jim

The Turkish Model 38's that I handled had a handguard retaining lip on the front of the action in addition to being small ring sized threads. Some gunsmiths have done a booming business turning down Rem 700 barrels to fit the Turks. Usually makes a decent rifle but the mag length limits overall length of useable ammo(the ones I had would not accept 30/06 fmj but worked fine with 150 grain SP).

Back