Turkey season.

NCummins

Anybody out chasing gobblers?

Shot my first turkey this morning. 10 1/2" beard 1 1/8" spurs, Winchester Supreme 3" NO 4 shot.

I think I'll try this weekend. I'm excited as I've hunted them a few times, but with no success. I have learned a lesson, though: never try and stalk a turkey. Some guys that come down yearly took 8 birds just a week ago at my place, so hopefully I'll get a shot at them.

Nice bird. Big one too.
The birds thrive in the Southern half of this State. Seldom are they seen in the northern half if at all. {too many predator's perhaps} I typically hunt the most Northern third of it. Very close to the Canadian border. Never have hunted or learn how too hunt turkeys. Would be a fun experience I'll bet.

Got this Osceola last weekend down here in South Florida. 9" beard and 1" spurs. Ate good too
photo2_zpsb664fa0c.jpg

Nice birds. we have hundreds of them running around our area. We see them daily driving in and out.

I just can't bring myself to shoot one of them. They are pets to many of our neighbors!

Someday, maybe I will get one!!!!!

Mel

If I wasn't too busy slowing down for potholes and frost-heaves up here in Maine I would have bagged a dozen (pre-season) with a Honda Element. I must see three dozen on my way to work every day, and I wish I had more time in the morning to shoot them when the season starts. Although I don't know if it'd be worth dealing with the ticks and worms.

Ten years ago it was a challenge to shoot one. Now it's a challenge to dodge them on the road. Saw three toms fanning on my way to work today.

I thought about getting one with a crossbow and a line to retrieve it. They roost in the trees near me. funny to see a bird that big in a tree!

Mel

It is a bit strange when you first see a rafter of turkey's in a tree. And will really give you a startle if you're in the woods at daylight, don't know they are there and happen to flush them. Talk about some noise.

Too, it is illegal to shoot roosting turkey's in Ohio and AFAIK, many other states as well.

I'm not sure if it is legal anywhere currently to use a rifle to shoot a turkey. I could use my muzzleloader in Georgia. So technically I can kill any turkey within 200 yards.
But that's not very fun, I want to call them in and fool them. 40 yards or closer.

Back