Turkey gun: Fouled or no?

bclark1

I don't really clean my gun enough when I'm patterning it to notice a difference. Rather, I clean it after the range, not really at. I was wondering if anyone prefers to put a fouling load down the tube or not, and if they've found it affects the pattern. Last year I was shooting clean, but this year it crossed my mind that it may or may not be better to leave the barrel fouled on the way to the field.

I'm a firm beleiver in keeping ALL my guns clean, but I wouldn't think, on a shot gun, it would have much effect on the pattern.(Unless the barrel is extremely dirty.)
Most guys I know that bird hunt will sometimes shoot several hundred rounds through their shotguns before cleaning.

I don't think it will be much of an issue. Even with a rifle, the first shot from a clean bore is only going to be a couple inches off at 100 yards, at most, if it is off at all. A shotgun pattern shift of that magnitude might not even be detectable.

With a turkey gun clean or dirty won't matter. The usual range for a turkey shot isn't more than 30yds. If your turkey gun won't pattern at 30yds. or less you need a new gun.

Back