Turkey got the best of me.

Blindstitch

Well my week came in Wisconsin. This is the first time ever actually hunting turkeys. I bought way to many calls and practiced on them all. Ended up settling on a Knight and Hale DualThreat slate call.

I went out Friday with a friend just to locate birds for the next day. Walking across the public land about 300 yards from the parking lot off goes a bird. Never suspected it would be that close. But it flew away to what I thought was private land.

We walked 3 miles trying to locate another bird with no response. My friend had to go to work so I came back to the spot where the bird flew in the evening. I made a couple yelps and every turkey in the woods must have heard me and responded. I set up my decoy and called back and forth for 30 minutes with a lot of gobbling and then they went silent. I figured there was thick brush, a river and more thick brush between me and the birds.

I forced my way to the river to find every spot to cross was 3 feet deep. Eventually I left and drove by the private field and 4 birds were strutting away over there.

The next day I was determined to get across the river. I finally found a location where the water was only 8 inches to a foot and crossed. Took a quick break and moved on. Once I got out of the brush I decided it was time for a yelp to locate a bird and this jake went wild. I wasn't ready. I moved myself closer to the field and saw the jake through brush coming my way about 90 yards away. I tried to get comfortable and found a good shooting lane. The whole time this bird was gobbling like crazy. I was set up and it disappeared into the brush still gobbling and I was worried it was going to come up behind me. Then he ran out into the field about 50-60 yards from me and stopped.

My head said shoot but it also said if he got this close he will get closer. And then he turned away and walked off into the woods.

I don't know what I did wrong but that was 15 minutes of blood pumping turkey fever.

Later on I actually called in a few hunters thinking they could use live hens and decoys. So I chalk this up as a win without a bird. It was a great two days of turkey hunting and I'll be back next year.

Way fun stuff.

Blindstich:

Turkey hunting is so much fun. Once I talked to a bird for three hours before I got him to come into my decoys. When I was butchering him I discovered that before I shot him in the head, someone else has already shot him in the butt. No wonder he was wary.

My very first turkey I lucked out and got on my first ever day of turkey hunting. I'd given up after calling all morning and was on my way back to the truck. Found a great place to sit in the sun so I sat and fell asleep. Woke up as a Jake gobbled. Near as I can figure he wandered over to see what I was. Took him home that day.

The one thing I've learned over the years is to take it easy on the calling. When I get a response I wait at least five minutes to call again. Once I can tell they are coming to me I wait even longer. And the value of decoys is immense.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

"Got'a leave some for seed."
The real fun in hunting I've always thought was seeing >something. {Quickens the heart beat.} The Perk in hunting >was bringing that (something) home. ;)

"Great hunt'in story." Thanks for posting.

I saw animals galore. Saw a pair of wood ducks, lots of other ducks, herons, cranes, geese, rabbits, a red fox and many more animals. If it was october I would have bagged my limit of a lot of things in a few hours.

I'm sure there were a good deal of seed turkeys left but I think they were where I found them because they had been pushed off all the easy to get to spots.

At least I didn't have to worry about squirrels jumping around sounding like big bucks.

I went out twice this year. First time called in and killed two toms. Second time called in 4 and Son filled his tag before they got into position for me to have a shot. Both times within 20 minutes of first shooting time.
Whackem and stackem
Gitterdun and get to work.

prediction

Mark this down. That will not be the last time that you will be whipped by a turkey. And you will continue to ford streams, climb ridges, wade swamps, and do all manner of strange and difficult things to get your gobbler, often to no avail. You'll battle ticks, skeeters, chiggers, poisonous snakes, poison ivy, fire ants, and your wife/girlfriend and boss.

My goodness, do I love to turkey hunt.

I just reread a Charlie Elliott turkey book. In one of the chapters, one of the characters he describes states that " ....I lost a farm, a bank account and my wife, becoming a good turkey hunter. And you know what?......It was all worth it.

Back