Turk surplus

littlephil

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place or if it's been covered recently, my phone isn't letting me use the search option. Anyway, I have 117 rounds of 1945 vintage Turk surplus 8mm mauser ammo. I'd like to sell it as I don't need it, but I'm not sure what it's worth. So for my question, what's it worth? :D I've heard that the Turk stuff is some of the better (and hotter) of the surplus ammo. Would it be in the range of $.40-.50 around? Any help is appreciated.

Would it be in the range of $.40-.50 around? Any help is appreciated.

Littlephil, you said any help is appreciated, I will try.

I purchases Turk ammo in bandoliers, 70 rounds for $4.80. I fired a few, too many cases split. Then there were the delay in firing. I pulled the bullets and saved the powder. The primers were corrosive.

I had purchased 30/06 surplus pull down cases from Pats for 7 cents each. I formed 8mmx57 cases from the 30/06 cases to get away from the corrosive primers.

F. Guffey

I purchases Turk ammo in bandoliers, 70 rounds for $4.80. I fired a few, too many cases split. Then there were the delay in firing. I pulled the bullets and saved the powder. The primers were corrosive.

How long ago?

Last time I saw it for sale, it was about $40/bandolier, and selling. I think (sadly, as a shooter) that price is about right.

Last time I saw it for sale, it was about $40/bandolier, and selling. I think (sadly, as a shooter) that price is about right.

If that is the case someone should be willing to purchase a bandolier for $30.00. I believe I can come up with 5 bandoliers. Then there is the Model 38 Turk rifle. I have one I will sell for $175.00. Straight from the box, I can make arrangements to deliver in the DFW area.

F. Guffey

Got me curious, so I searched completed auctions on Gunbroker, looking at items that actually sold.

There are a bunch of single bandoliers listed for $40, and a few sold at that price.

There were several lots of three bandos, or 210 rounds that sold, for $80, $90, $100, and $105.

One lot of 400 rounds sold for $170.

Seems like 40¢/round is a decent price.

Thanks fellas. That's pretty much exactly what I was lookin for. All but 2 (of course) of these rounds are on strippers and I have a bandolier for them. At least I assume it's considered a bandolier, it's the type with pouches and buttons. I'll probably post it here in a couple days as I don't know anybody local that uses it. Thanks again for the help!

Thanks Guffey, I indeed have cloth bandoleers. For some reason when I hear bandoleer, I think about old western movies where they have ammo strapped across their chests. :D
Anyway thanks again for all the help!

While I realize prices are high, and it may be going for that today, I think $.40-50 cents per round is too high for 70 year old crap ammo.

I think reports of the Turk ammo being some of the "better" surplus ammo probably originated with the people selling surplus Turk ammo. "Hotter"? compared to what?? US made 8mm Mauser sporting ammo? OK, yes, US commercial 8mm has always been underloaded compared to European stuff.

"Better"? than what? better than German made? I doubt it. I think "better" comes from being "good enough" and being cheap. And it used to be cheap.

Today, other than the cost (whatever it turns out to be) for something that goes BANG (hopefully) in your rifle, it is crap ammo.

It is Berdan primed, meaning non-reloadable in practical terms, AND it is corrosive primed. Plus there is no way of knowing how it was stored over the last 70 years, which may have affected it in many ways. Hangfires and complete duds are common with old milsurp ammo. The bullets are the best part, pulled, sorted for uniformity (weight) they can be reloaded in quality ammo (modern boxer cases and primers).

It may be worth what you are looking at asking to someone today, not to me.

Good Luck.

Back