Turk Mauser - Upper hand guard issue

You can see in the pics that the wood seats around the rear sight perfectly, but the front ring cannot attach properly because of the misalignment on the end of the hand guard.

2014_06_27_260_46c0d39f160f287fd682.jpg

2014_06_27_262_857f9c2f38d1a5e4a77e.jpg

So after some assistanse from another forum, which recommended to come here (http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f290/turk-mauser-upper-hand-guard-issue-309447/), it was determined that it was the wrong upper hand gaurd. Finally ordered one and got it in; it's exactly the same. What could be the issue here?

2014_11_06_324_0001f73d035ce1848fd4.jpg

1942 K.kale

well the turk's never wasted any thing they recycled and modified and kinda updated their rifles on the fly to keep up and supply their army's and when they started making their own mausers they used the gew 98 as a guide sorta . its a good rifle and a little love with a dremel should have that hand guard fitting just fine. I had a adventure just like that with my turk gew 98 hand guard but mines a mix of ww1 g-98 and 98/22 cz parts but the bore is real nice and its a great shooter. boy my spellings way off today well that's all I got , :)

The Turks never made their own Mausers; they did modify and upgrade rifles from time to time, but never had the facilities to actually make the guns from scratch.

Jim

From looking at your pictures, I believe you have a 1903 Turk Mauser. I also think you just purchased the same hand guard like the one you already had. Something is amiss.

Check here:
http://www.turkmauser.com/03/

I measured my top hand guard and it is 12 7/8" from the edge at the receiver ring to the channel cut for the band.

TK

Attachments

• 1903turk.JPG
    1903turk.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 13
yes they did look up k kale turk mausers I realy cant remember how to spell the name of the arsenal . kire-kira sp? kale something like that . HTH :)

Hi, TB9,

There seems to be much doubt that any Mauser receivers were made in Turkey. The ones I have seen marked K. Kale appear to be reworked German receivers. I remain highly skeptical of anything written about the so-called "Model 1938", since there seem to be no authoritative Turkish sources* and almost everything I have seen is based on guesswork, speculation, and BS.

Until I do see something from an official Turkish source, I will continue to believe that Kirikkale rebuilt and upgraded various Mausers, but that those guns originally came from Europe.

*Wikipedia is not an authoritative source, IMHO.

Jim

I also read the info on that site. First, the actual case is small ring, large shank, not the reverse. Those rifles came about c. 1908 when the Germans decided to produce and adopt as standard a lighter and shorter version of the long Gew. 98, but not as short as the cavalry carbine. That short rifle was designated the Kar. 98AZ. One step taken to lighten it was the use of the small receiver ring, but with the standard barrel shank. It was later designated the Kar. 98a. (Please don't ask me to type what the "AZ" stood for.)

Germany produced several million Kar.98a rifles before the end of WWI. In their work with the short rifle, though, they found it had problems, in part because of that small receiver ring, so they abandoned that experiment and later adopted a different "carbine", the K.98k. So Germany had a gazillion rifles they didn't want and couldn't use with the small army they were permitted; Turkey, dreaming of restoring its power in the Middle East, wanted more and more rifles. The solution was obvious and the Kar. 98a rifles went off to Turkey.

In addition to those Kar. 98a's, the Turks also had Model 1890 and 1893 rifles (the old small-ring Mauser with the single column magazine); the Model 1903, pretty much a standard Gew. 98; the Model 1905, a carbine version of the Model 1903; and the Model 98/22 from Czechoslovakia, a standard Brno long rifle.

In the mid-1930's the Turks decided to take two steps to modernize their small arms. They considered the Model 1903 their standard,, so they refurbished and upgraded all those old rifles to give as much as possible the appearance of that model. At the same time, they adopted the 7.9 (8x57JS) as their standard caliber, replacing the old 7.65x54. Most information seems to indicate that the Turks did use the term "Model 1938" for all those upgraded rifles, though I have seen no absolute proof of that.

As best as I can determine, the Turks never made Mauser receivers; had they wanted to do so in the mid-1930's the machinery and tooling would probably not have been available, since every European country was in the process of making all the rifles it could for its own army. Turkey did apparently have barrel-making machinery and could manufacture small parts.

Jim

Back