Turk mauser rebarrel question.

littlephil

Ok, so I've got the old barrel off of my turk mauser m38. My question is, since I have no access to a lathe, what would the best course of action be for getting the new barrel? I had planned on ordering one from midway or brownells for around $90. But I'm guessing I can't exactly just screw one on, cut the chamber, and go. My understanding is that you have to make sure that the barrel seats against the front of the receiver as well as the ring inside the receiver. So am I better off ordering from someone like E.R. Shaw so that I can specify the exact dimensions I need, or is this fit not super crucial for anything other than a bench rest rifle? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Your best bet would be to take it to a smith as it need to fit in two places on a Mauser as well as head space. If you get it from E R Shaw you can send your receiver to them and they will do the whole job and when you get it back you just blue it and shoot it. Be sure to send your bolt so they can get the proper head space.

Back in 2002 Century was sending (4) Turkish Mausers with bayonets shipped and right of refusal for $100 to CCR holders.

But I was paying $50 + $4 tax each at BIG5 and not getting a bayonet.
attachment.php

I got a lot of them.
I paid a guy $35 each to TIG weld the bolt handles.

I could rebarrel and drill and tap. I could forge (bend) the bolt handles, but that made them too short.

Here is a pic of one my brother converted to .223 with a Douglas rimfire 16" twist barrel. And a pic of a Turk not converted. 12 years later he is still killing rodents with that rifle. He can only use 40 gr bullets.

I have bought lathes, mills, welders, and a lot of other stuff as a result of getting involved with that first Turk.

I think you can tool up and do your own gunsmithing, but it is not cost effective compared to just buying a factory rifle.

I think you can pay a gunsmith to do the gunsmithing, but it is not cost effective compared to just buying a factory rifle.

You have to WANT to work on Mausers.

Attachments

• Paul'sTurksDSCF0005.jpg
    Paul'sTurksDSCF0005.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 43
No, you did it correctly. I saw the handle almost in two, then bend the gap open. After that, I weld it. Leaving that bit, and bending it open, holds the two pieces in alignment. However, if you have to add length, then you would have to make up for it with weld, or add a piece, etc.

Yeah, I found some pics from Jack Belk 10 years ago, before he went off line. My brother has a TIG welding certificate. He copied the pics, but I could only get a bolt a year out of him. I have all the right equipment, but I am a putz.

That big long line of Turk bolts I got Randy Ketchem to do. He passed on a year ago.

Attachments

• Mausers Jack Belk TIG welding bolt handles picture of computer screen.jpg
    Mausers Jack Belk TIG welding bolt handles picture of computer screen.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Belk's pic of one of his welded bolts and a pic of him I inserted.jpg
    Belk's pic of one of his welded bolts and a pic of him I inserted.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 25
Clark, if you have a TIG machine, then there was a video, on YouTube, that I posted a link on here about, that was one of the best I have seen on how to TIG weld.

That is a good shot of a welding jig, as it shows how they're used.

Roughedge, I don't really want to have a smith do it because that wouldn't give me much experience on rebarreling.

Clark, I hope to be able to tool up and do my own smithing someday. I'm trying to get some hands on practice right now, that way if the opportunity ever arises, I can at least make a little cash on the side after I get my ffl. Also about me wanting to do this, I've had this rifle since I was in 8th grade (no that wasn't last year either. :rolleyes: ) do I don't ever plan on selling it. I'm doing this also because I don't want something off the shelf. I find those guns, for the most part, less interesting than even the old beat up "junk" in the corner of a pawn shop somewhere. I also love tinkering with stuff so this is right my alley. :) And those are some good looking bolts, and a handsome rifle. I bet you're both pretty proud of the work you've done to your guns. Thanks for the replies

I had planned on ordering one from midway or brownells for around $90. But I'm guessing I can't exactly just screw one on, cut the chamber, and go.

Well actually, you can do just that. It won't be done right, but you can. The replcement barrel will torque against the C Ring or the Receiver shoulder, and as long as the barrel is short chambered enough to ream to proper headspace you are fine.

Totally recommend taking it to an actual gunsmith if you have that option. A proper barrel install will torque against both surfaces.

Jimro

I don't think Brownell's sells large ring, threaded to small ring standard, barrels which is what most Turks require.

Discussed this on another thread very recently somewhere here.

You can modify the receiver by removing the "ring" at the front as Wagner does in the link above to take a small shank barrel like the 6.5 x 55 Swede.

I sent my turk to ITnD in Ohio, got a Douglas premium airguaged barrel, fluted, muzzlebrake, action squared, lugs lapped. Drilled and tapped for luepold onepiece base, in 6.5-06, 1-8" twist...they also reforged bolt handle...
Paid around 750.00, and really I didnt need any of those extras but my first custom built rifle, and I was working a lot of overtime at the time....
It loves 140 grain bullets man!!!

Well thanks for all the replies, but I may just put the old barrel back on. I've been off work all month, and just found out its gonna be for longer than expected. So I guess I'll just get a few parts here and there when I can. Thanks again for all the help, it's very much appreciated.

hooligan1
Paid around 750.00, and really I didnt need any of those extras but my first custom built rifle, and I was working a lot of overtime at the time....
It loves 140 grain bullets man!!!

From 1991 to 1997 my bank account went up while my spiritual account went down. I got more money from overtime than regular time. I bought a lot of guns and gun parts to cheer myself up.

I have a 6.5-06 reamer and a stainless 8" twist #3 taper ratchet rifling barrel waiting for me to cut threads.

I am still cheering myself up.

I don't know if that will go on a surplus Mauser, Dumoulin Mauser, Sav 110, Rem700, or what.

Clark it has been very cool working up loads, it shoots so well that the testing has been a short trip with the three bullets I'm using, the only thing left for all three is more velocity!!!

Back