Tuning my 870 for Clays...chokes and patterns

MrBorland

Right now, the only thing I've got to shoot birds (clay and feathered) is my 870 Express. It's got a 28" barrel and a Modified Remchoke installed. At the range today, I shot it at 35 yards to see what my patterns were like with several different shells. All patterned within a 30-ish" spread, and were centered on my point of aim, but in all cases, there were pretty big voids where no shot hit (easily big enough to fit a clay through).

I assume the pattern should ideally be spread evenly, with few voids, no? What's the source of the voids? Since I got them will a 3 loads tested, I assume the gun is the source. Is it the choke? Would a good quality choke get rid of them? Or maybe backboring the barrel or lengthening the forcing cone? Am I chasing the wind with this gun?

If I stick with shooting clays (Trap and/or SC), I'll likely get a decent O/U, but in the meantime, if some reasonable tuning of my 870 improves it, I'd certainly consider it.

What ammo did you use?
It DOES make a difference.

You will see a big difference between Win AA and the Universals or Super Speeds from walmart.

Also, remember that your pattern is actually flying through the air in a 3-D conical shape so all of those pellets do not arrive at the same place at the same time.

Shoot some easy clays like station 7 on a skeet field and see how your gun performs. Many times a simple change of ammo is all it needs. If you just want a new after-market choke, Trulock, Briley, Kicks, Pure Gold, Seminole, Mueller, and Rhino all make excellent products.

http://www.briley.com/c-447-choke-charts.aspx

(I can't seem to get these to open full size, maybe you can)

FITASC said:
What ammo did you use?
It DOES make a difference.

You will see a big difference between Win AA and the Universals or Super Speeds from walmart.

I tried 2 Winchester White Box Super Target loads (#8@1180fps & #7 1/2@1145 fps) and a Rio Game Load (#7 1/2@1280 fps). I have some Remington Target loads to try, and I'll keep my eyes open for AA.

FITASC said:
Shoot some easy clays like station 7 on a skeet field and see how your gun performs.

Well, truth be told, some different ammo might help, but I suspect the biggest problem is the nut behind the trigger. :rolleyes:

I know that to be true with ME....:D
Step into the station smoke the first 6 targets and miss the last two..........HUH!?!?!?! I beat myself better than my opponents do!:eek:

Back