Tung Oil. How long to shoot?

baddarryl

Hi all I recently tung oiled my new Walnut stock for my CMP Garand. I used Real Milk Paint company pure tung oil mixed 50-50 with mineral spirits. They said 10 days to cure with a full cure at 30 days. Does curing mean weatherproofing or can I shoot it? I mean the tung oil after 10 days or so can handle slight handling right? If it mars it just apply more? I understand that's how it works. Am I correct? Thanks.

If it isn't tacky, doesn't feel gummy if you hold it for 10-15 minutes, isn't going to stick to anything or pick up any debris, and won't stick to the case or imprint the pattern of the material while in transport, it's probably fine to shoot.

But if you aren't sure, don't try it.
You won't be doing yourself any favors if you screw it up and have to wait for it to cure, just so you can sand it back and start all over.

I am currently applying Tung Oil to a set of pistol stocks. Mine is not the combination you are using since mine is 100% pure without additives. It dries in 12 hours for the next application. I am currently on the second application.

The first coat seemed pretty dry after the 1st 12 hours. I think the reasoning for additional coats is to have it sink deeper into the wood.

Maybe, I am using the wrong solution but it is beautifying the stocks.

Last edited:
The mineral spirits slows the drying time. Said drying time is 24 hours per coat without the thinner. Takes at least 5 coats applied over 5 days too.
"...curing mean weatherproofing..." Sort of. Tung oil hardens with exposure to air and gives a hard, shiney, waterproof, finish when it's dry.

Back