Tumble Lube?

steve4102

How does Tumble Lube work. I mean where does it work?
Is it the lube on the driving bands that lubricates, or is it the lube that enters the Lube Groove?

I have read that most of the lube is scraped off the drive bands during seating. If this is the case then how does tumble lube work?

Does the lube that gets all over the exposed bullet have anything to do with lubrication, or can this be wiped off without affecting lubrication?

Thanks
Steve

If you are referring to the Alox type, man that stuff goes a LONG LONG LONG ways. Even if you thin it down it will go a long ways.

If that is what your referring to, then yes it coats the whole of the bullet, all exposed lead and even inside the HP if they are of that type. Even seating them doesn't seem to do much if anything but spread it out a little more.

Most folks recommend that if you can see it on the bullets you used too much. Me, mine goes on thick both before sizing and after. I don't know what if any more good it does, but I usually don't have any leading, and that is the part I worry about.

When I clean my revolvers, I also take and slather a patch down with it as well then shove it back and forth through my bore to precondition it somewhat. That way I don't have to worry about that first round laying down any unwanted left behinds.

Oops, forgot about the wiping off. Yes you can certainly wipe off anything that is outside the case with no ill effects I have noted. I hunt with most of my loads so I don't want the sticky stuff hanging out on the noses of the bullets collecting who knows what. I usually load up a box or two, then sit while watching TV and wipe the noses off with a rag and a dab of denatured alcohol on it. It cuts it right off. I also swab out the HP as well using a q-tip to make sure I get all the goodie out. Last thing I would want is to take a bite of pork shoulder and get that taste out of it. Can ya say YUK....

Try the Hitek coating. It works basicly the same way throw into a bowl and coat, but you have to bake them for 8 minutes at 350 deg. then coat again, but it will not come off in your sizer and there is no leading in the barrel and no smoke when ya shoot them. Bullets have been recovered after shooting and still retain nearly all the coating.

Comes in assorted colors. Copper Red is nice.

Back