Tulammo 9mm steel jacket?

very dumb ?

does this reduce barrel/rifling lands life? M&P Shield. yes I know there's been many mild steel jacket MIL bullets.... but.... this is my new baby !

awesome test and report

I followed the link you provided. I read the entire test report. wow. thank you for this link. I have a few questions after reading this report, but it really goes above and beyond answering my original question. Now I'm a little scared... I don't even know if I want'a shoot these 4 boxes of Tulammo I bought!! haahahaha. thank you ofr link

99% of the unfired round I found in the desert are tulammo ammunition (any caliber) I'll never buy that cheap stuff.

I'm not saying anything bad about that article but it was about steel cased .223 which is a high pressure rifle caliber. 9mm does not run at anywhere close to .223. What gun are you shooting it out of? That would be the big question. I would have no problem shooting it through a Glock.

Rifle bores wear out much faster than pistol bores, and rifles that are shot a LOT in a short amount of time wear out their bores even faster than normal.

The test in the link is useful for determining the difference between the types of ammunition tested, but when applying the test results to handguns, one must understand that the specific round counts from the test shouldn't be thought of as paralleling the bore life of a similar test involving pistols.

It's true that steel jackets will probably wear out the bore faster (just as in the rifle test), but just to pick some numbers out of the air, it might wear the bore out after 20K rounds instead of 50K or more.

So, let's say you save 2$ a box on this ammunition vs. what you would normally buy.

Let's say it wears out your bore after 20,000 rounds (400 boxes). By that point, you've saved $800 on ammo costs. So at that point you spring for a $200 barrel and keep shooting--you're still $600 ahead.

Even if the bore wears out after only 200 boxes, you're still $200 ahead after replacing the barrel.

The luckygunner article states the same general idea applies to rifle barrels even though they tend to be more expensive and also tend to wear out faster.

For the record. I shoot steel cased ammo in my SS SR45. I have had absolutely no problems with it what so ever. I also shoot it in my SS Mini -30 with out issue. Is It all I shoot? No. The article I posted was just for a reference. As with anything I read on the internet. I take what I can use and leave the rest. I thought it was an interesting read and thought it may interest the OP. IMHO The amount of money I save purchasing steel cased ammo for target and plinking over the period of time it will take to wear out a barrel in any of the firearms I own would probably pay for a couple of factory barrel replacements if it becomes necessary.

I have shot some of the Tula pistol ammo in 9mm and 45 auto. I recovered some of the fired bullets. The steel in these bullet jackets is quite soft, the bullets can be easily deformed with hand pliers, jacket and all, kind of a meaningless test, but I was curious.

TulAmmo in 45ACP has never given me one problem and I find it to be cleaner than Winchester ammo.

Monarch ( Academy) makes brass and steel cased ammo, and I have shot hundreds of rounds in both 9MM and 45ACP of the steel cased with no problems. Even more of the brass cased ammo.

This is all pistol ammo, I don't know anything about the TulAmmo in rifle calibers.

i have shot a gazillion tulammo 9x19 through various guns, never a problem

shoot it, but not ALL the time, it has a bi-metal jacket consisting of copper and steel and does wear a barrel out faster, but 4 boxes is nothing to worry your pretty head about, all of my guns, including rifles, have all seen 1000 rounds or so of tulammo w/o ill effects, i stay way from it in most my guns now only because i reload 99% of my ammo, but tula was good to me when its all i could afford

@ passtime

That was a very informative link. I've always preferred American (or Fiocchi) brass ammo, but I've not been afraid of brown bear either. Now... well I'm happy that I'm reloading and can reload cheaper than I can buy brown bear ;)

I agree with reloading. I am waiting for a press, dies and bullets right now. I already have the powder and primers. I am sure this will affect how much steel cased ammo I shoot as I will be getting more bangs for my buck from the brass cased ammo that I may purchase.

Tula 9mm & .45

I only bought a couple boxes of Tula ammo for my 9mm & .45

after reading the reviews, Im glad I didnt buy a lot of this stuff

I'll probably just test it and not buy it again and stick with US made brass cased ammo.

geeeesh ! Tula is just fine. Especially if you don't reload or you don't put 5,000 rounds thru your pistol in a year. I enjoy the inexpensive ammo in my Hi Power.

David :)

I wouldn't shoot steel jacketed comblock stuff through a nice pistol.

It will ruin your barrel faster. That's more a factor in high pressure systems like AR's, but I wouldn't ruin my guns to save a buck or two a box of ammo. Get reman copper jacketed ammo if cost is a concern.

Back