Tula M44 from Classic (pic heavy)

easyliven88

Hello all, this is my 1944 Tula M44 I received from Classic a few months ago, but didn't open yet because of a move. Now that the work/gun room is ready I finally was able to open her up and breakdown for a thorough cleaning and photoshoot lol. I did decide to refinish the stock/hand guard only because the shellac was getting pretty flakey, I was ultra careful not to remove any dents/dings/markings. It turned out better than I had hoped. I used Miniwax Red Mahogany 225 and satin poly as a sealer.

Here are the pics, any and all comments are appreciated...thanks in advance...

Here are 2 stampings that are barely visible...look to be an elongated z (right) and 2 arrows that meet facing opposite?

This is actually a reworked Izhevsk M44, done up by Molot as a hunting rifle and sold as their "KO-44" (Karabin Okhotnichy - 44/Carbine, Hunting - 44). The logo that looks like a "Bn" is Cyrillic for "VP", or "Vyatsky Polyansky", the city where Molot is loated.

Looks great! You did a nice job. Did several of mine similarly but finished with Formby's. Hope it shoots as good as it looks:).

Great looks good makes me want to refinish my IZ but its in such great shape original I don't want to change it .

Well, I'll tell ya, she kicks like a mule in heat... I had taken a 91/30 and the M44 to the range on a beautiful day. I shot about 50-60 rounds out of the 91/30, then I moved on to the M44. Holy Smokes!!! I could only get 4 rounds outta her before my shoulder was screaming at me to stop lol.

Needless to say I bagged her up until I can get a recoil pad (slip-on), because in all honesty, that was not a fun shoot.

Nice job man Looks awesome! I always wondered how those screw on butt pads are that they make for the Mosin. When I take my old war horses to the range its 20 rounds and then pick up something else :D

The screw in pads are large in part a waste of money. Maybe take away 10-20% of felt recoil. They're hard plastic and maybe a quarter rubber. The LimbSaver is all rubber and is a slip on so you can use it on many different rifles. I recommend it. You can pick them up at Walmart for a fair price. They negate a good 70% of the recoil of the rifle. I like it.

I have one of those hard rubber screw-on pads on my Mosin. The trick is to take a 3/8" drill bit and drill out the holes so they go all the way through, makes a huge difference!

stock finish

the stock refinish looks mint, I kind of prefer the original crude sloppy military finish on my Russian rifles

a few scuff or flakes just adds character, these were not meant to be beauty queens.

Back