Tuf Cloth vs. CLP/FP-10

TCW

Which do you think does a better job of protecting a firearm from rust during storage or in the field, Tuf Cloth or CLP/FP-10 ?

TCW

The Army teaches it's soldiers to use CLP. Most fire their weapons only once or twice a year so it's good for both storage and operations.

Tuf-Cloth is a great protectant for bare metal, like good pocketknives. But you're already going to have cleaned your gun with FP-10 or something like it, so it's already good to go.

The stuff that's on a Tuf-Cloth is also sold as a liquid--I think it's Tuf-Glide or something. It's been a while since I had my collection.

Its the same thing. One tuf-cloth that is reconditioned with tuf-glide goes a looong way. If you mizer, mineral spirits will extend the life of the tuf-cloth even more. The tuf-glide is so good that I just apply it with a cotton bore patch and it works great...

I used to use CLP before for both lube and protectant. I use tuf-glide instead now as a protectant and have had no problems with any of my knives (even a piece of D2 tool steel I'm working on). It dries quickly and doesn't attract fuzz like CLP. Doesn't stink as long either. I use Militec for lube now, and I'm pretty sure it would make a decent protector like CLP.

FWIW...

I own and use all of them. However RJ Hedley put me on to Rig. I bought a "Rig-Rag" at a gun show and, so far, it's the best protectant I've ever used. (Blue or stainless) CR Sam has been using Rig for 60 years up on that mountain. I like Militec-1 for a lube. You put it on the first time and you think, "This stuff is SLICK"! By the third time you put it on you KNOW is the best. It seems to get slicker with each application. JMO

KR

I use Militec for lube now, and I'm pretty sure it would make a decent protector like CLP.

Militec-1 is probably the best lube ever for knives, but I don't think it protects as well as things meant to protect. It's so easy to rub knives with a tuf-cloth that I don't take my chances.

By the way, if you're obsessed like me, lube your knife pivots and then bake the knives in your oven (make sure they don't have anything that melts--Zytel doesn't melt at 250 F, I happen to know). Militec improves dramatically with heat.

I've been using CLP for 17 years with the same success that Sam has had with Rig. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.:D

Like KR, i have used all three. An additional application where Tuf Glide excells is in lubing a .22 auto (pistol or rifle). Tuf Glide is dry and slick and dirt just brushes off chamber surfaces between detail cleanings. I haven't tried FP-10 for this yet, though.

Regards.

I have too many handguns (10) to shoot and maintain regularly. My maintenance routine is to clean thoroughly with Hoppes #9/CLP?/XX, lube with Militec-1 after each range trip, and wipe down with a tuff-cloth. I do wipe them down with a tuff-cloth when I occasionally just bring everyone out to say 'hi'.

My stuff is rust-free, absolutely reliable. Some get shot every couple of months, some every other year, no problems so far. guns not in carry roatation are in a steel boxes with a dessicant, ammo is in military ammo boxes.

Seems to work fine in a mid-Atlantic environment.

I also use tuff-cloth on my knives, seems to work as advertised.

What I am impresseed with is the Marine tuff-cloth on the stainless hardware on my boat. I cleaned it up with NevrDull, wiped it down with a rag and hit it with Marine tuff- cloth in June, still looks good.

Overall, a pretty good magic rag. YMMV

I used a marine tuff cloth on my kimber then stupidly put it in a document safe in the original box with that foam in it I pulled it out after 2 weeks and the whole pistol had a thin layer of surface rust. I know now not to store in the box with the foam and not to store in a safe without desicant. The fact remains however that the marine tuff cloth did not do its job. I am a clp man now.

CLP or CLP ?

From talking with my sons, I was under the impression that the military (USMC) used Break-Free CLP. I was not familiar enough with the products then to question whether there was another CLP (Clean Lubricate Product) other than Break-Free.

Now I read the terms CLP, CLP/FP-10, and FP-10, but not Break-Free. Are Break-Free CLP and FP-10 CLP similar products?

Alex

CLP is a type of product, not a specific brand. There are lots of CLP type products available, and they're all a bit different. The best that I have found is FP-10 CLP. FP-10 does meet current mil-specifications.

The military uses CLP from several contractors, mainly Royal Lubricants, which is the lowest bidder at the moment. The Royal Lube CLP can be purchased under the Remington Nitro CLP label. It is a lousy product, IMHO.

Artillery units still use Break-Free CLP, as they have the sole contract for the BORECAP units used to "punch tubes".

www.royallube.com
www.fp10.com
www.g96.com
www.eezox.com
www.break-free.com

Hope this helps,
Clay

It been about 7 years since I saw a bore cap, for a howitzer. We just use CLP right from the gallon jugs.

I've been using Breakfree CLP with great success. However, I got a sample of FP-10 and am impressed by it. It seems to both lube and clean better than Breakfree. I think I'll use it from now on.

Either way, I keep a automotive chamois with my gun cleaning stuff and use it to wipe off extra lube.

Whenever I handle my guns or wish to give them a quick wipe down, I use this oil impregnated chamois. Sort of a poor man's Tuf Cloth and an economical way to recover waste at the same time.

STLRN, I spent a short time in Arty, 8" 109's, all we used was Break-Free CLP in gallon jugs. I was soaked up to my elbows! Fun stuff :D .

Hooaahhh!

Clay

TUF CLOTH

I use TUF CLOTH on my carry gun, an East German Makrov. I have been carrying this pistol in my truck and a iwb holster for 4 years.
I wipe it with the cloth about once every 3 months and just let it dry I don't wipe the residue off.

I shoot the gun at least once a week, and do not add anything else, just wipe after use with a dry cotton cloth.

Back