Tube extension for 930 SPX--Your experiences?

jreXD9

I'm thinking of adding a +2 or +3 or +4 tube extension to my 930 SPX. Has anyone else done that? What's the main issue to look out for? What brand did you buy? I miss the 8+1 capacity of the 590 I had.

When you add length to the magazine tube of the 930, that is where a good portion of the malfunctions originate. Shell surge is a thing and since the 930 does not release the next shell on the trigger pull, but while in recoil...not a good combination and well outside of the engineered operating window.

Shorter extensions will obviously cause less issues, as will using a better, or even a HD magazine tube spring. I recommend and use Nordic Components tubes, nuts and springs. There HD spring is good for about 1000 rounds in a 7-8 round capacity. Their standard spring is good for about 1500 rounds, but it is not as strong.

Not specific to the 930, but I've tried extension tubes on other guns and decided they weren't worth the negatives. You can get another 2-3 shells in the magazine, but it adds a considerable amount of weight and at a place where it negatively effects balance. If I felt the 4+1 with a standard tube wasn't enough an ammo carrier on the butt stock works better for me. Not quite as much weight and you typically can carry 5-6 more shells. But the biggest difference is where the weight is located.

If you extend your magazine too far on a New Jersey semi-auto shotgun you become a felon

I might be mistaken, but a standard 7+1 SPX might already be too many.

Also, it might be a felony to have a pistol grip full stock semi-auto New Jersey shotgun

Any defect where the extension interfaces with the magazine can cause problems with loading the tube as well as feeding

Back