Tuarus _ .44 Mag and .454 Casull -Cyl.Jams

TomD

Inactive
Interestingly enough within days of returning a new .454 Casull to the factory for potentially oversize and out of round chamberss (cases would not eject probably due to overexpansion), Gun Test reports an identical problem with their .44 mags. I sure hope that Taurus isnt working out their mfging problems/design problems on the public. I am also anxious to report how long it takes Taurus to get the .454 cylinder replaced and returned. I dont think this is a new problem for them so I would guess they have boxes and boxes full of replacement cylinders to deal with their repairs quickly. Lets start counting the days and measure customer service!

[This message has been edited by TomD (edited December 20, 1999).]

Keep us posted, TomD. I have a RB in .454, and whil I haven't had any probs yet, I haven't put an awful lot of rounds through it.

FrontSight
If this were going to occur in your gun it would have showed itself the first five round you tried to eject. My guess is youve got clear sailing ahead. The cause has to be pretty straight forward. Either oversize chambers or an excentric ejector assembly. I also had tell tail signs of both.
When I talked to Taurus last wed. they said call them this coming wed. so I should have some info in a few days. I would have hoped to have a gun in a few days.

I own Ruger Redhawks in 357, 41, 44, and 45LC. No problems so far except in the 44 (I was trying to get 1800fps with a 300g LFP from my 5.5" barrel. Got the speed but needed a BIG hammer to get the cylinder open. Ruger repaired gun for free. LOL)

Please start flames here...

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Well I cant complain about the service or at least the response time. I spoke to Taurus yesterday, about 10 days after they recieved the gun and I was assured it would be next day air'd yesterday or today at the latest so I'll give them an A. Hope to shoot it this week end and well see how it does.
Was doing some reading last night and when I finished I had myself wondering if I may have contributed to the problem. As I understand any contamination left in the chambers may lead to some stuck cases. The first rounds I shot were through a clean but lightly oiled cylinder. Im hoping that by clean it doesnt mean dry oil free chambers. Ive never been in the habit of sterilizing my guns when I clean them. I just "clean" and lightly oil.
It makes sense that with prolonged shooting and failure to do some maintaince there could be enough accumulation of residues to "compact" the cases within the chambers or possibly shooting a shorter case like a .45lc for a bit and without cleaning the chambers a "ring" will form and when a full length case is shot there could be some binding. This would be true then to for 38spl and then .357mag, .44spl then .44 mag. How much shooting would cause this my guess would be it would depend if the chambers were machined at low limit versus high limit fewer rounds would require sooner maintainance.
Well see how this thing does this week end. I really dont think light oil is or should be a problem. Well see.

Saw noe difference when I got it back untill today. after reallt looking over each chamber i noticed one in particular bound and restricted the rest when trying to eject. Tried leaving this one empty and shot the four and all ejected with no problem. ill be calling tehm tomarrow.

Back