Trying to identify a military rifle

paraklete

Inactive
It resembles an M1. It has a "magazine" that doesn't come off the rifle (without removing a screw appearently). The bullets look like they would be loaded into the magizine through the breech while the bolt is open. Unlike an M1, the bolt handle is a straight round post perpendicular to the bolt instead of a curved piece of metal on the M1.

Also, an interesting thing - there is a small post that protrudes from the front of the trigger guard when the bolt is cocked. You can reach your finger up on the front of the guard and tell is the gun is cocked or not.

I plugged in the serial number into a website that said (assuming it was a Springfield) that it was manufactured in 1938.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I was just about to post some pictures to ask for more info. The picture you linked to was just about "spot on".

Someone had a gunsmith drill holes to mount a scope, so all I had in the way of markings was:

FAB_UE NATIONALE D'A_ES DE GUERRE H_STAL BELGIQUE

(The underscores represent missing letters where the screw holes are)

Does anyone know what caliber it fires?

I found the number 4511 on it twice, stamped above the chamber and on the rear housing below the rear sight. I found the number 6081 (I think, might be 6061) in front of the "Fabrique" stamp. On the top of the chamber, I found the letters "AL", about 3/8 inch tall and bias striped inside.

Any info would be appeciated.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know what caliber it fires?

That depends on who it was made for (which you may be able to tell from some of the other markings or crests); you can see these in 30-06, 8mm Mauser, 7mm Mauser, or 7.65mm Arg. Mauser.

Thanks again to everyone

Discovered that the "AL" on the top of the barrel means it was a Luxembourg model which chambered the 30.06.

Back