Trying to identify a g30 generation

Shadow9mm

Found a g30 im looking at getting. It has no accessory rail. Stamped g30, no "s" after it. Serial number 3 letters, 3 digits following by "US". Is this a gen 1?

attachment.php

Attachments

• g30.jpg
    g30.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Glocks

I just read a bit on Glock "generations" recently. An online search yielded a pretty decent article complete with pics on the Glock "gen" topic. Gen1 Glocks, if I recall correctly, are limited solely to the G17 platform. They are relatively rare and I'm not so sure that many made it to the USA. Seems I read elsewhere that Glock made a run of retro G17 pistols that mimic the gen1 pistol to some degree in the recent past, but I am not certain about details, my memory is sketchy on the matter.

Gen2 Glocks are what many shooters label as Gen1, but they are not. The Gen2 pistols have no finger grooves on the grip, and have no rails. The checkering on the grip is different from the Gen1 G17 pistol. """Note that a variety of other Glock models were introduced in this era, but they are Gen2 pistols, but the first iteration of that model.""" Technically, they are still Gen2 Glocks.

Gen3 Glocks got rails and finger grooves. It is important to note that up to and including the Gen3 pistols, Glock did not mark the slides with a generation marking. The Gen4 pistols received the first slide markings of "gen4" throwing Glock fans into a tizzy ever since.

Based on the description of the G30 you are considering, and its lack of a dustcover rail, I would label it a gen2, ie, an early G30. The grip should be devoid of finger grooves as well. Note that Gen2 and Gen3 slides and frames will interchange within frame sizes. My gen2 G20, will accept and function with my gen3 G21 frame and vice-a-versa, and to me the gen3 frame feels slimmer and less clunky than the slab sided big frame gen2 models.

Disclaimer, ......this is all from recall on an article I read about a week ago. I've slept many times since then :) and may not have all the facts exactly right, but I am fairly comfortable about my recollections. A bit of online searching and the same article with pics is still out there for review by all.

Well, it has finger grooves.... ill try and post a pic when i get hone from work. Can't do it from my phone. I know the g30, being 45acp, is the large frame, and it kinda lagged behind on generations in places. Even heard of a gen 2.5 with them. Digging for info.

Apparently the US in the serial number hsd to do with impory. Amd they stopped using it 2002. So it had to be 20yrs old or older

Gen 3 started in1998 and ran to 2009. Im guess its a 3rd gen as that is when finger grooves were added.

But again the large frame seems to be a whole different animal.

Last edited:
interesting

I've done a bit of checking, and there are other G30 pistols w/o rails. The fact your pistol has the finger grooves identifies it as a gen3. It appears the finger grooved but no rail pistols are sometimes called gen2.5, but that is an informal designation.

One blog stated that rails went on the G30 circa 2005. Another comment indicates a 1997 G30 in their possession has no rail.

I wonder if one could obtain the G30 with or w/o rail as desired?

July of 2005 is what I’ve seen for a cutoff. Looking into it, HGM prefix and later.

All of the SF frames, to include the 30S, always had the rail.

Gen1 Glocks, if I recall correctly, are limited solely to the G17 platform. They are relatively rare and I'm not so sure that many made it to the USA. Seems I read elsewhere that Glock made a run of retro G17 pistols that mimic the gen1 pistol to some degree in the recent past, but I am not certain about details, my memory is sketchy on the matter.
Pretty much correct. There was a very small run of Gen 1 Glock 19s, but they were made by cutting down the frames of Gen 1 Glock 17s. It would be accurate to say that all Gen 1 frames were originally manufactured as Glock 17s but some were "converted" to Glock 19s.

The "retro" pistols were called the Glock P80 and were similar in most regards to the original Gen 1 pistols.

Back