Trying to ID a Smith @Wesson 38 S. & W. Special CTG

gringo5

Need some with an ID on my father-in-law's S&W.It's a 38 S&W Special CTG. The serial # is 998954 on the butt and on the bottom of the barrel.On the cylinder assembly is #87994. the left side wooden grip has 2 sets of #'s 995 and 445 on the inside.The gun was past on from his father to him in the early 60's. In the early 70,s he flared the barrel with a bad hand load. It's been in a bag until last fall.For x-mas i took it to a gunsmith and had it checked and reblued, the barrel shortened from 6" to 4" and put a front site on. I am interested in it's history.. Thank you for any info...

Gringo,

Your gun is most likely one of the many hundreds of thousands made during WW II. In your case, probably sometime in 1944.

These were standard Military & Police Hand Ejectors, which would in the 1950s be renamed the Model 10.

It is very likely that more Model 10s and their M&P HE predecessors have been made than any other single model of handgun.

Add in all of the copies, clones, derivitives, etc., and you might very well have the most numerous firearm style every made.

Back