Trust naming rules:

tgreening

Yes, I've searched.

I'm not looking for what needs to be engraved, that info is fairly easy to find. What I'm looking for is the BATF rules on what you can name your trust. If for some reason I wanted to name it the Scooby Doo Trust, or the さむらい Trust, is there a rule against it? I'm perfectly fine if someone can point me to the BATF verbiage on naming conventions, but I'll be danged if I can find that on my own.

That is because the naming of a trust is not under the jurisdiction of the BATFE. IT is under the jurisdiction of your state trust laws.

I had no real intentions of naming it the Scooby Doo Trust, but even if I did I doubt I'd have any issues Hanna-Barbera over it. :)

My curiosity arises from what might happen upon my passing, and if my wife would want to sell the NFA firearms in the trust.

I know from my standpoint it's best to have the name simple and easily identifiable as connected directly to me, IE Greening Trust. But if I was looking to buy an NFA rifle, something with Ocksenshwrtz Trust on it wouldn't exactly trip my trigger.

I was only half kidding about the さむあり Trust, or something in the same vein. It's unique enough to not immediately turn someone off, and looks a lot cooler than Greening Trust. :)

I don't really want the name of someone else's trust on a gun I buy. I know other people don't want my trust name on something I may sell. That's why having a friend who is a 07/02 is handy. :p

I'm not aware of any naming conventions for the trust itself, so long as the name of the trust matches the Form 4 and the engraving.

If you're not doing business or marketing a product under the name, I don't think trademark plays an issue. I do know of one Raccoon City Medical Supply trust...

My curiosity arises from what might happen upon my passing, and if my wife would want to sell the NFA firearms in the trust.
When you establish a trust, you name a trust administrator and a contingent administrator. The administrator is in charge of the trust, can acquire and/or dispose of trust properties. When the administrator dies, the contingent administrator assumes full trust administrator authority and can acquire or dispose of trust property. Ask your attorney, they will have the answer to your questions.

Back