truly stupid moves: a rant

sbryce

I gotta vent somewhere . . .

I'm taking a class to get folks to start disaster-preparedness efforts in their community. One of our teachers--while he may be a good paramedic--is a rotten teacher. I took notes on how bad he was and gave my notes to the other teacher, who is the boss. Didn't take notes on the content of the course material that week. Did not tell the boss about the following item, but it's been simmering in my head . . .

Among this guy's dumb moves, throwing Tootsie Rolls at the class for right answers, poor organization, lots of 'ums' and 'ers' was one truly stupid move. He's a 'ham' kind of person and he was 'hamming it up' while the other teacher had the floor. Mr. Stupid was at the front to the right of the class when he suddenly went into the Hollywood-style slight-crouch and "blew away" several someones starting about where I was sitting and he swung to the class's right along the wall. He would have "blown away" maybe me, my girls, and a lot of nobodies on the wall.

As I caught this out of the corner of my eye, my first thought was, "Oh, NO!! I'm not carrying!!!!" and I quickly focused more closely on him to notice that he had just his hands, not a gun.

1) He has no idea of the personal trauma in the background of his students. This might affect them more than his just being a ham. A friend of mine had relatives at Columbine. My husband was in an office building which was shot up . . . etc. It's serious, not a game to us. Not funny.

2) He has no idea of the training of folks in the room. I understand that some folks are so well trained that their muscles react before their brain even really registers. An acquaintance was in Special Forces in Vietnam. In spite of his arthritis, etc, he'll throw his wife out of bed even while he's asleep-in the midst of some dream/nightmare. She handles it well, but sweetly says that she doesn't want to be protected.

3) He obviously hasn't thought through that this is a "shall issue" concealed carry state with over 30,000 individuals licensed to carry. What are the chances that one is in a room of 45 adults? Significant, anyway in a small state. And with the very imperfect training of CCW classes, might someone react improperly? (Ok, it pointed out to me that I need to be more aware of my surroundings . . .)

4) He obviously is Hollywood-trained and believes in the "spray and pray" technique. Wasn't very realistic, I thought, but apparently even I've seen enough of Hollywood's products that I recognized what he was doing and it got my adrenaline going. And that's saying a lot as I haven't watched tv or movies in 15 years and never did like gore-type stuff before that.

AAARRRGH!!!! Still makes me mad to think about it. Thanks for letting me vent.

When I was in EMS, I remember Paramedics I just loved to work with! Real professionals who took calculated risks with their own welfare to render emergency care to people in need.

Also I remember some Paramedics who were a bit over the top in the area of self-esteem. We called them "Paragods". (When using this term you're supposed to roll your eyes and give just the right emphasis to the slowly-spoken syllables. ;) ) Usually, sooner or later, somebody got a craw full and the dipstick got dumped on.

I really am sorry that you were subject to the antics of one of the Paragods. There are many, many super Paramedics out there. You just got the bad "luck of the draw".

I have a lot of respect for paramedics. There have been quite a few times that I was more than happy to see them arrive. Most are very professional and do a great job.

Only once have the EMTs caused me any grief. A fellow had found a guy that drunk and passed out. We couldn't revive him; so, EMS was called. They managed to get the guy concious only to then rile him so bad that we ended up having to arrest the guy after he started trying to fight the EMTs. The SGT told me that the EMTs really pushed the guy and he was trying to get the EMTs out of there when the guy started fighting. One of the EMTs almost got a ride in a nice shiny police car that night as well.

Yesterday, while at my optometrist's office, his cute litte assistant (cute but airheaded) summoned me to the back offices, as she "had something that she wanted to show me." I was a few seconds behind her, having finshed up a conversation with her boss, who's an avid hunter. When I got to the back room, there she stood, with a silly grinn, leveling a brand new Win. Mod. 70 rifle right at my chest.

Jeeeeeeezus, did she get an upbraiding from me and the Doc. She just about cried. She had absolutely no idea that she'd done anything wrong.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

I had a similar experience to Walter a few years ago. Was at a get together at a guys house out in the country. He kept a Short barreld Winchester 12ga. on a rack in his hallway. There where lots of people there, and this one girl (complete airhead) thought it would be real cute of her to take that shotgun and point it at somebody. (unfortuantly it was me) Scared the heck out of me, safety off, her finger on the trigger, pointing at my stomach. I took it from her, and racked it. Sure enough, it was loaded, 00 buck. I yelled at her until she cried. She just couldn't figure out what she had done wrong.

Correia: Sounds like you should have yelled at your friend for leaving his gun out there too. I always make sure that my guns are secure before having company over.

I was at a gun shop last week, (well, and every week before that :) ) and I asked to see a Taurus PT-911, which I really want. As the young man was getting it out of the case, I turned my head to talk to the other clerk, and when I turned back, the young man was pulling back the slide to make sure it was unloaded (good!) with the gun pointed STRAIGHT AT ME!!! I stepped aside quickly and said, "DON'T POINT THAT THING AT ME!" When he pointed it away, and I regained mty cool, I said more calmly, "I'm glad you're checking that gun, but please point it in a safe direction before you do." It really gave me the willies, and my heart was pounding for about five minutes.

A few weeks before that, at the range, I had finished shooting a mag's worth, and was looking down to reload, when I saw the guy next to me trying to clear a jam from his Jennings (go figure!) with it pointed at the man next to him, who was concentrating on firing. We had a quick range safety lesson!

I am learning that although we are all supposed to live in condition yellow, we need to be in condition bright, flaming, flourescent orange whenever we get around guns at a shop, show, or range.

JP

------------------
Nehemiah 4:18 " ... and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked."

Capt John, I was at my local gun shop when a lady brought in a bowling ball bag full of hand guns, which her and a friend had filled from a safe of a now deceased relative. Guess what was near bottom of bag but a cocked and locked no safty 1911, talk about a real grab bag. The gun store owner was not very pleased, and they were driving with these guns loaded and concealed. It happens everywhere.

Well, what do you expect when people people get their firearms training from Schwarzenegger & Gibson? Pointing a gun at somebody is about as funny as trying to run over someone or sneaking up behind them and putting a knife to their throat "just to scare 'em." Hysterical, huh?

Unfortunately, it does happen everywhere. I've left a range before because I just didn't feel safe. My dad says the scariest experience he's ever had was when he was in the army ('61) and realized the men on either side of him at the range had never held a gun before in their lives, much less a loaded M1! Some people got their $*** jumped in by the range master that day...

TYhe Swiss aree way ahead of us in gun safety noone will deny. i think universal military service and a automatic weapon in most homes has something to do with it. I will agree with the anti gunners on one point. Some people should never own a gun of any kind. and gun accidents along with the general dubmbing down of the masses could go hand in hand. These incompetent American gun owners are the best ammunition these antigunnrs could have. Drinking and gun handling is another big problem we have. Booze just adds to the mix of these idiots who are no friends of the rest of us.

I was helping a LEO trainer put on a seminar for defensive shooting for the general public when the "shall issue" CCW first came into being. After the classroom part, one of the participants, a lady about 65 years old asked if I could show her how here revolver worked, I agreed.

She produced her deceased husband's model 36 Smith from her purse and pointed it right at me. The revolver was cocked so I told her to point it away and keep her finger away from the trigger. I then gently placed the web of my hand between the frame and firing pin and asked her to let go. I lowered the hammer and opened the cylinder. It was loaded. The old gal told me she had cocked it months before and didn't know what to do. Good grief.

Back