True or False??

g.willikers

True or False.
If a cowpoke in the old west was a little short of coin until the next payday, he could supposedly trade a cartridge from his trusty six shooter for a whiskey at the local saloon.
And so, the term "A shot of whiskey" was born.
Eh?

According to my google search the people that research the origin of words say it is false. But there are several claiming the bullet story is true. I would tend to believe the word experts but I like the bullet story better.

That is the sort of thing that when repeated a few times becomes accepted as fact by many, and the truth doesn't matter much. Much like: "I did not have sex with that woman" or "Read my lips; no new taxes."

It just occurred to me that because of the inherent potency of the .45, whatever measure is used would have to made of something stronger than the normal glass.

I know that I haven't answered your question, but now you've got me thinking...:D

I've heard the bullet version before and I've heard this version......

As far as historians can tell, the earliest written reference came in 1913, in the book A History of Cass County Indiana from its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time. In the book, the author, Dr. Jehu Z. Powell depicts a story from roughly 1857, in which townspeople protested a man attempting to open a saloon. When the barkeeper received his first barrel of whiskey, an angry townsperson shot a hole through it, immediately draining it of its contents. In the words of Powell, “The remedy was effectual, and the saloon was not opened, and ever after, when the boys wanted a drink they would ask for a ‘shot of redeye’.”

I think it comes down to whatever story you like, you will believe. Kinda why all those conspiracy theories continue to float around on gun forums........:D

I personally don't have the smarts (or the inclination) but maybe somebody could find out what the cost of a shot of whiskey was in the old time saloons and the cost of a box of .45 cartridges (and of course how many cartridges were in the box).

I can't see the barkeep trading if the deal wasn't in his favor...

Unless of course there was the 'I'm a goin' give you this bullet for a shot O redeye one way or 'nother!'

Back