Truck Carry Discussion

It depends on the state.

In my state, the answer to the legal portion of the question is... any way you want.

Not sure to what you refer with the safe aspect. To me, this implies relatively safe from being stolen. To that I say that it should be hidden from view when you leave the vehicle unattended. And I don’t leave my vehicle unattended with a firearm anywhere in it for more than a few moments...such as to run in the post office or something like that.

I carry my rifle back and forth to the range in its case, on the back-seat floor (rear windows are pretty well tinted). I also toss a jacket down over it. Back seat looks like I'm a slob on the best of days. I don't carry it in the truck as a habitual thing; just back and forth to the range.

D

What would be the safest, legal way to carry a rifle in a pickup?

If you are just carrying from Point A to Point B to use the rifle at a range or other facility and then return the 50 state legal (forget about DC) way would be have a permanently mounted storage box with separate locked compartments for the gun, magazine and ammunition in the bed of the truck and then cover the bed with a permanent lockable cover. Gun and magazine (if one) must be unloaded with magazine removed and placed in it's storage box.

Safety:

If the action is removable, remove it. If not, place a chamber block in the rifle chamber to ensure that it is empty. You will need to mount the box from side to side to ensure that if everything else failed and for some reason the gun goes off either in a traffic accident or some other reason it is not pointed at your head or the drivers to the front or back.

Your local laws may be less restrictive.

"...the safest, legal way..." In a locked, hard case. Legal and safe, everywhere.
Where, in the truck, will depend on how many doors it has(should only be 2. snicker.). Also depends on where you are and what you're doing.
In any case, you will not be using or needing any rifle while driving. If you're stopped at a light and somebody attempts to 'trucknap' you, a rifle will be too slow.

No legal restrictions on the carry/transport of long guns in TX from the standpoint of the penal code.

There are some game/hunting laws that might apply in certain limited circumstances.

As far as safety goes, your owner's manual should give you some ideas about what the manufacturer feels is safe or unsafe when transporting/storing the firearm. A good hard case can give you a little extra leeway in terms of carrying chamber loaded depending on the gun and the case.

From a common sense perspective to prevent theft, the minimum would be to make sure that the door are locked and the gun/case isn't visible from outside the vehicle whenever it is unoccupied.

I remember when dad carries two rifles in the gun rack in the rear window of his truck, I was just a child than, man how the times have changed. He never got them down when shopping at the store or picking me up at school. Had a 30-30 and a 22 magnum, once in a while he would trade the 22 mag and carry a 30 carbine or mini 14.

What would be the safest, legal way to carry a rifle in a pickup?
Now that we live in the wrong century and millennium, the correct answer to your question requires you to hire a lawyer to know that answer.

In America, the correct way, is to put the rifle in your rifle-rack in the back window, in front of God and everybody, loaded, but with an empty chamber, and if it's not actually deer season yet, the second-rifle position is required to have a fishing rod, with extra points if you have a chainsaw, or, optionally, a bale of hay in the bed of your truck. You should lock the truck if you leave while in the store or whatever, maybe stick the saw in the truck if you will be a while. And nobody will mess with it.
But alas, it seems that that America is mostly gone, existing only in legends, novels of the distant past, or hopefully perhaps, persisting in the most rural enclaves in what was once the USA. Wouldn't it great if we could all claim to live by the laws that we were born into...(Grandfathered in, right?)We could keep Herter's in business as long as enough of us still lived.
But what do I know? I'm just some guy that was born when there were only 48 States and I wasn't born in any of them. Territory of Alaska, 1955.
But, the Oregon I came of age in is probably still a little bit that way in the rural counties. Here in the Portland metro region? Out of sight; out of mind, works.

In America, the correct way, is to put the rifle in your rifle-rack in the back window, in front of God and everybody, loaded, but with an empty chamber, and if it's not actually deer season yet, the second-rifle position is required to have a fishing rod, with extra points if you have a chainsaw, or, optionally, a bale of hay in the bed of your truck. You should lock the truck if you leave while in the store or whatever, maybe stick the saw in the truck if you will be a while. And nobody will mess with it.

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Back