Troubleshooting a Remington 550-1 .22 semiauto

cc-hangfire

Asking for some advice from those with more experience.

I got a Remington 550-1 .22 semi-auto a few months ago. After replacing the broken firing pin, disassembling the bolt assembly and a thorough cleaning, the rifle fires but isn't cycling reliably. With the tubular magazine loaded and cycling the charging handle for the first round, the first shot cycles the bolt and chambers the second found. Subsequent shots eject the brass but don't chamber the next round. The bolt will begin to strip the next round, but the cartridge feed angle is too steep and it will jam before clambering.

The trigger assembly and the sear spring (with its cap) are functioning, and the extractor is working fine.

I tinker on my firearms but am far from being a gunsmith. Any thoughts on the next step? I'm thinking of: polishing the bolt face, polishing the feed ramp, checking/replacing the cartridge lifter springs.

Thanks for any help!

Sounds as if the feed guide located above the rear of the barrel is MIA or broken. I seem to remember it as being screwed to the left side of the receiver on the inside of course. Also this rifle uses a floating chamber which if un-cleaned WILL cause problems, both with shorts and long rifles.

I'll look at the feed guide. And I've done my best to free up the floating chamber; it's either severely wedged with gunk or welded in (I've read that some were to supposedly make LR performance better). I'll check it again & try a couple more solvents on it.
Thanks

The floating chamber is to make operation with .22 Short possible. With .22 LR, it won't matter if the chamber can move or not.

Jim

Final update

Thanks for the suggestions and help. After a VERY thorough cleaning (the floating chamber still doesn't float though) and polishing of the bolt face, the little rifle is now cycling. It is gonna be ammo sensitive, but that's not unusual for a rim fire. I will do a little more polishing where I see the cartridges hanging up.

I'm trying to upload a couple of pic's. The old plinker has a pretty walnut stock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 110
Back