Trouble with my Windicator . . .

Prof Young

I have a EAA Windicator 38 spl / 357, that initially shot well and ran smoothly. Well, it still shoots well, but the smooth running it going away, especially when using it in single action mode. It will click through five cylinders and then hang up on the sixth and you have to "worggle" it around to get it to cock. Then the next time it will hang on two cylinders and then none. In double action it hangs up less but it still hangs up. And this happens even when the gun has been thoroughly cleaned. I showed it to a guy who knows a great deal more about guns than I and he pointed out that "sear" is "loose" in that with the hammer cocked you can push the sear left and right with a pen. Oh and with the cylinder open, the trigger won't pull and the hammer won't cock, which I am assuming is the way it should be. I wonder if the thing that keeps it locked up when the cylinder is open is sometimes engaging when the cylinder is closed.

Help?

Life is good.
Prof Young

Haven't had any issue with mine. I would find a gunsmith to check / adjust the timing, as getting EAA to ship it back to Germany for repair may end up being a lengthy and time consuming hassle.

Windicator

Not a Windicator owner but just had the same "symptoms" with a Rossi model 851. It was very intermittent and progressed. Gunsmith checked it and found a "burr" on the trigger. $43 later and it is right as rain.

I too had a problem similar which is why I traded it out with another Ruger to get a S&W 686 plus.
I have a funny quirk, when a gun messes up, I'll always be hesitant to use it afterwards.

Me too. As soon as it has problems, even if they are fixed, it is a range toy and/or plinker. My SD guns are the ones I have had for years and have never, ever, ever had any problems.

I've not much experience with these revolvers, but a couple I've seen had a problem with the ejector rod loosening and jamming up the cylinder. I've read where others have had this problem. Nothing a drop of LocTite can't cure.

Back