trouble with break action 12 gauge

MadScientist

For my 16th birthday (12 yrs ago) my dad bought me my first "real" gun (i.e. non-BB gun). It's a 12 guage shotgun made by CBC in Brazil, imported by FIE.
This is a break-action gun. The problem is, the barrel is breaking open (albiet by just a little) upon firing normal trap loads. I don't remember it doing this when I first got it and it makes me a bit nervous to shoot it.
Is it supposed to be doing this?
Only thing I can think of that might have screwed it up was that I used to get my friends to shoot deer slugs out of it. (light weight gun and heavy slug makes for good kick and plenty of reaction from friend)
What can I do to fix it? or should I never fire it again?
There's nothing obviously wrong with the release mechnism upon visual inspection.

Sounds like the action pin holes (pivot pin, hinge pin, what ever), might be stretched out and are allowing some play in the action.

Gunsmith time. It needs to be assessed.

get her to a good smith. my nephew had one like yours and he used it so much with slugs that it would almost open with a sneeze. gunsmith fixed er up by replacing pin with slightly bigger pin. locks up real tight now.

I just have to reinforce getting it looked at. It's not worth blowing your face off over. If you get it in tip top shape, you could be giving it to your son for his 16th birthday some day. :)

Sounds like part of the locking mechanism is worn. this could be a minor adjustment or a serious problem. This is NOT normal!

Get the gun to a competent gunsmith!!

Geoff Ross

Back