Trophy Hunter Charged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbro

This is a shocking article about trophy hunting and if the charges are factual I hope this bunch get time and I mean camera crew, producer and all!

MEDICINE HAT, ALBERTA - Former Gophers wrestler and Ultimate Fighting Championship star Brock Lesnar has been accused by Canadian wildlife officials of shooting a mule deer buck in southern Alberta but keeping only the trophy head.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/135774738.html

And here is the video that appears to match the story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ENyy8kbXg&feature=related

Thanks Gbro. Always glad to hear of charges when this happens.

I grew up in a rural area, and always learned if you take an animal, to use it all. With each year there are more and more "trophy" hunters that just take the rack with a sawzall and leave the rest laying there. Thats the main reason the majority of the land owners here do not allow any hunting anymore.

I don't know..... at the end of the video he clearly says, "the horns and about 150 pounds of meat"..... Would that sound about right for the apparent size of the deer he shot???? And could it all fit in the backpack he had on??? Or could the guide have been carrying some as well????

"the horns and about 150 pounds of meat"

accused by Canadian wildlife officials of shooting a mule deer buck in southern Alberta but keeping only the trophy head.

I struggled with that also. Then when i found the video and watch the way that pack bob's up and down on his back, it looks huge but it does bounce more that what a 150# + pack would.
It would be interesting to hear from some of our Northern brothers in Canada about any other details as this develops.

I'm curious as to why they charged him. What evidence do they have? And were they just picking on a celebrity? Canada keeps shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to hunting or gun laws.

In so far leaving deer to rot. There are so many deer in this area that farm owners can get a "culling" permit. I don't know if the animals are restricted to does, but once shot, you leave the deer to rot.

Very wasteful in my opinion.

Sad thing is, most violators don't stop @ one violation. Lesnar's statement on video of the weight of the meat is an obvious attempt to cover up the fact that the meat was left behind because it was unwanted. He took what he wanted, the rack. Lesnar is not a trophy hunter, but a trophy shooter. You wonder what other unethical and illegal things his so called guide did to help Lesnar bag his trophy and get out of the woods quickly and easily so they could go shoot something else. Hope they throw the book @ both of 'em. It's Bubbas like this that give us legitimate hunters a bad name.

My friends and I do not always keep the meat from kills but we donate it a program called Hunters for the Homeless to feed the homeless.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

There's no mule deer going to yield 150# of meat. That animal would have to be 500# live weight to yield 150# meat.

That said, the guy really ought to get the benefit of the doubt. Exaggerating about the meat weight actually makes it look worse because carrying 150# would look a lot different than the 75-90# that a real animal might yield.

Yeh, Doesn't look good !!!

Anyone who ever butchered a deer, any deer, can pretty well tell that a lot of meat had to be left behind. Hard to give him the benefit of the doubt but who knows ?/ :cool:
I would think that the DNR, is going to have to prove their case and hard to do whithout the remains. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

There's no way

a video edited for a half hour TV show can be considered reliable evidence. Best to see what comes out in court.

I certainly don't condone what he did but anybody who spends time in the woods knows that nothing goes to waste in the wild. He gave a few animals an easy meal. Trust me, it will all be gone very quickly.
When I take an old buck I don't want the meat, my old dentures just can't handle it. I do donate it to Hunters For The Hungry tho'. I personally don't like feeding varmits.

There's no mule deer that will yield 150# of meat

Will, if you use the same figures as you do for white tail which is the amount of meat yielded is usually about a third of the total weight...

...that would be a 450# mule deer :eek:

Just how big are the mule deer up in Canada?

At any rate, I couldn't convict either man with no more evidence than is what is shown here in this thread.

When I take an old buck I don't want the meat, my old dentures can't handle it....

FWIW, grind him up into burger mixed with 2.5-3.5# of either Black pepper pork sausage or beef suet. Be so good those ole dentures will dance around by themselves.;)

Last edited:
Yea, the "150 lbs of meat" comment in the video doesn't match the size or action of the pack. It looks like a head and cape, to me.

It sounds like he fell down on that pack, though:
StarTribune said:
In an article on the 2010 hunt by Alberta Professional Outfitter Magazine, Lesnar was described as needing medical attention for a severe arm injury after the deer's antlers punctured his biceps as he packed the head.

Some people might say he got a little of what he deserved.

The biggest question is:
Who has the footage of the head being cut off, and the animal being abandoned? You know they filmed it. But, did they keep the footage, or erase it?

Not really good to give too much credence to "charges filed" in a news story. Maybe yes, maybe no; we don't know enough to really have an opinion about this particular event.

I doubt that any of us here, however, would condone doing what was alleged to have occurred.

If anything definitive show up in the news at a later date, start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back