trophy copper 280 rem

dragon32

Inactive
Anybody have any experience with this trophy copper 140 grain bullet on whitetail deer? Iv read it to be good BT I want to hear some personal experience how it preforms on deer. It shoots great out of 280 Thompson center venture. Very accurate. Let me know what y'all think

Not that bullet, but rule #1 with copper bullets is that they perform best at very high speeds. Too slow and you don't get any expansion. Rule #2 is that the in any bullet weight they penetrate much better than any other bullet. Expect complete pass through with any of them.

With that in mind you will always get best results by dropping down at least 1 or 2 bullet weights lighter than you would with conventional bullets. If I can't load copper to leave the muzzle at pretty close to 3000 fps I drop down in weight until I can. Impact velocity needs to be at least 2000 fps and 2200 fps is better. Under 2000 fps at impact and you may not get any expansion.

I think the 140 will work on deer, but something in the 120 gr weight should be a better deer bullet. The 140's, in copper, are better suited to much larger game.

Thank you for the quick response. I understand what your saying the box says they shoot about 3000 at muzzle. Im going to start reloading my own ammo soon so I'll keep what you said in mind. Thanks for the input!

Back