• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Trolls

coati

I'm new to online forums. TFL consistently holds my interest and has high standards. It's one of a very few that I read.

My question: trolls. There is an individual who breathlessly posts arcane and obtuse musings on velocity, bullet shape, barrel length, and the like. Apparently this person has reinvented himself using several names and is quickly identifiable by moderators. They rein the threads in quickly.

Some members attempt to engage but seem hesitant, observing that any response may expose the thin reasoning of the thread-starter. Or, maybe, they're afraid of where the topic may go.

Is this person
a) trying to create a disturbance
b) an ATF agent, searching out actionable behavior
c) a nut?

I understand that discussing him (or her, to be fair) might draw some unwanted attention. It seems like that his threads would drop like last year's grapefruit, left alone. I'm just curious, for the sake of the medium more than for his alleged expertise in firearms.

coati-
What does a troll feed most upon?

Answer: Attention. Good attention, bad attention...it doesn't matter. The answer is Attention. Like many of you, we strain at the bit not to engage Trolls publicly. And so you quietly see them disappear....without attention. Long time Members know this to be the way we work and, almost invariably, support us by not engaging.

No insult intended, coati. It is a reasonable question. However, if the answer is clear, I ask that all others do us a favor by letting this thread quietly sink.

Luci's Law of Internet Discussion Management #242:
Dont' feed the Trolls!
Rich

Back