Tritium Sights for my AR

stanmanplan

As an AR newbie (Colt Match Target 16"), I was wondering if anyone has tritium sights on theirs. Does it have the desirable effect that I imagine it would. I have them on my S&W 910 and could't imagine not having them now. Thanks in advance.
Stan

Stan,

Yep, have them on Darkman (my AR), both front and rear. Front is a vertical post and rear are dots (on the night (larger)apperture blade).

Do they work as desired? Well yes, to an extent... not like hand gun ones though. Being that the rear sight is located so close to your eye when mounting the weapon the tritium dots are more like translusant "orbs". However, they are much better than nothing. They give you a rear "visual" reference to line up the front post with, which in turn allows you to ensure you will hit your target. I wouldn't want to engage targets at night/low light without them.

The only problem I've found with them is with the front post. I have to cover it when using a night vision scope else there is this bright spot in the scope that blures out down range viewing. :(

Other than that one problem... I love em. And so has others that have shot Darkman at night.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

David, that's a good problem to have! wish I could just afford a single-tube NVG headset.

one thing to consider is a tritium front sight with a plain rear. as the tritium fronts have a white circle surrounding the tritium module, it gives a nice contrast that helps with "front sight, front sight, front sight!" during daylight. if you have a reliable cheek weld, locating the rear sight shouldn't be too difficult.

Ivanhoe

No... I don't have goggles I've got a Night Vision scope I'm testing.

Also reread my original post. The front sight is mounted vertical and has no white surrounding the Tritium cap, and the rear "dots" are on the larger appeture leaf sight, the smaller appeture leaf sight is plain.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

There are several types available, the ones from trijicon do have a white dot similar to their pistol sights, ones from meprolight have a vertical bar. I have a vertical bar front and a ghost ring rear(plain) and find it works very well for me on my custom Bushmaster.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Gunny's mention about the rear sight is on the mark. I didn't bother installing the rear night sight on mine for that very reason.

Artech - Go tell the Lacadaemonians...

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Schmidt, a friend just got the same NV scope as yours. Looks like a great optical unit. What is the translucent circular area around the central portion for? Also, the scope was wobbly on his AR. When we tightened down the (vertical adjustment?) wheel under the rear end, it tightened up but raised the aim point. Is there another way to tighten up the scope to the mount. By now I'm imagine he's actually read the directions, but I'm interested also. BTW, I bought one of their NV monoculars (no batteries required) at a gunshow a couple of weekends ago.

Stick with the Meprolight front sight
rather than the Trijicon. It is shaped
more like the original sight (Trijicon is
a blade). I originally bought a Trijicon
and was unable to get the sight properly
adjusted. I'll sell you a Trijicon front
sight cheap if you want it! I've been
happy with the Meprolight. If you do
decide to get a rear sight go with the
Trijicon. The battle sight on the
Meprolight is an open buckhorn style. I
much prefer the standard style ghost ring
found onthe Trijicon. Just my .02.

FAL308

>A friend just got the same NV scope as yours.<

Newcon Optik DN-140?

>What is the translucent circular area around the central portion for? <

Don't know what your talking about. The only thing I can figure is that you have the IR illuminator on. That illuminates out in front of the scope so that the center portion is "lighter" (i.e. it is illuminated by the IR).

> Also, the scope was wobbly on his AR. When we tightened down the (vertical adjustment?) wheel under the rear end, it tightened up but raised the aim point. Is there another way to tighten up the scope to the mount. <

OK... Now I'm really confused. The Newcon is on a weaver base that has the scope adjustments external of the scope (i.e. no internal scope adjustments).

The "base" is attached to a weaver rail via the two screws on the left side. You tighten these down to secure the entire mount/scope to the rifle.

The elevation/windage adjustments are on the "base" (i.e. not the scope). The big knob on the back, just below the eye piece is the elevation adjustment. The adjustment for windage is on the right side of the base.

While the one I have does have some movement in the adjustments they are under spring tention and return to where I have them set after pressure (a goodly amount) is released. This doesn't seem to be a problem on mine.

You may want to contact me off board if this doesn't clear things up.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

Thanks to all for the info. I got to see the Darkman one day there Schmit. You know where I'm at. Give me a call from 3 til 11 Monday thru Saturday.
Stan

------------------
"Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
- Elie Wiesel 1928

Schmidt,
Yes he got the Newcon. Same model as yours.
I'll probably see him Friday at the range. Hopefully he'll have read the directions by then and figured it out. I knew about the external adjustments from our discussions on Sat. mornings. Apparently I knew more about his scope than he did and all my knowledge was what I remembered from you telling us.
The center of the sight being brighter by the IR illuminator makes sense, but why only the center portion and not the whole image?

FAL

Good question. I don't know... I can one guess.

Seeing that the IR illuminator is on the side of the scope and only about, what, .5" in diameter it is too small to illuminate the entire field of view of the scope.

That coupled with it being a 1st Generation scope, meaning that due to the optics/design, there is distortion at the edge of the field of view. Look through the scope during the day (with the pin hole cover on!!! and you will see the distortion I'm talking about. The view is almost like a semi-fish-eye lens. That is one of the "faults" with 1st generation. But one I can live with.

Also, I've used my Surefire 6Z with an IR lens cap while looking through the scope. That lit up the world! It illuminated the entire scope field of view.

Keep in mind that this is a NV Scope... and one of the things is that you want to use NV so you can see but not be seen. Even that little bitty IR Illuminator can be seen from I know 200 yards... we check that specific point out.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

Back