Tritium or White Dot

Enigma

What is the better sight system for general use....An adjustable sight with the Tritium option or the same sight using White Dots?

Trijicon are tops. Three dot (white) for regular and the glowing three dot for low light conditions. Super product!!

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

Tritium is always a good idea. However, I prefer the bar - dot arrangement over the 3 dot pattern.

In low light conditions we have found (on hundreds of night firing problems) that white dots or white line sights are useful in any low light situation where it is safe to fire. What is the advantage of aligning your sights when your target is invisible? Also, we found that certain shooters complained that the brightest kind of luminous sights deteriorated their night vision.
Luminous sights do not illiminate the target. It is my opinion (and that of many other instructors) that a good Mag Light is worth all of the luminous sights in the junk drawer. Not only does a flashlight, properly used, illuminate the target, allowing identification, but spill light illuminates the sights.
So, my advice is: Try a pair of luminous sights before you buy a set for your pistol. Then try a set of white dots in the same level of illumination and finally, try a good flashlight. The average pair of luminous sights is only good for 5 years before it must be replaced. A good flashlight will last a lifetime and has all kinds of other uses...and it costs a whole lot less than a set of luminous sights.Finally, I must admit that some expert shooters were found to have about a 2% increase in accuracy UNDER SPECIFIC CONDITIONS. But, after a few years most have reverted to the flashlight. So, this is a very subjective matter and cannot be resolved by talking, only by testing and personally evaluating the product under actual conditions.

Good advice John,
I think I'll stick to my 3 dot and Surefire.

Was considering NS but what you said made it all clear. Of course, NS do give you a certain amount of cool points....lol just kiddin.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Thank you John. I always held my tongue when people talked about their tritium sights and how easy they were to see at night. I always wondered what the heck they were shooting at. When their tritium sights starting getting dim, they almost panicked because they would be blind in a night fight. I was laughing inside.

I'm with you on this one John, especially with my eyes. I'm thinking of putting a fiber optic insert on Kimbers front site. What is your thinking on that?

Every item has its good points and bad. I'll cover your light faster than you can react and that is a drawback. I know that so many LE's waited for that perfect sight picture with nights sights that they had to be mildly retrained to react immediately when the situation arose. Its like lasers, not to practical except in a few senarios. Yes try them all,,, but instinct is still best!

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

Back