Tritium night sight for a revolver?

Kentucky Rifle

Yesterday, I found a new (to me) gun shop. They had a very lightly used S&W 296, .44 special AirLite Ti. The rear sight was the normal notch type, but the front sight was "pinned", and looked like it could be changed out. Does anyone know if a pinned sight can be replaced with a Trijicon or Meprolite night sight? The bigger the dot, the better! I liked the looks of this "cannon"! An "L" frame that weighs less than 19 ounces. I also wonder how durable an AirLite that large would be.

Tamara: Didn't you say that you keep a 296 in your purse?

KR

I've got one of those with a single tritium dot - it's fine.

Recoil is sharp - not hard to handle, but very different. I had a pair of Pachmayer Compacs that fit it -- makes it a little larger in the grip (it's already much bigger than a J frame) but, for me, it points better.

JimmyDee

Have you fired the Glock 27 (.40 cal)? If you have, could you compare the recoil of your 296 AirLite Ti to it? I find my G27 a pleasure to shoot, however I did wonder about this really light .44 special. Do you shoot it much? How's it holding up? This pistol is about as "like new" as anything I'm ever likely to find and the price is $595.00. (I'm getting lucky with finding "like new" S&W's.) How's that sound? I'm kinda beginning to get back into revolvers, but I've looked around and the ammo selection is not too great for .44 specials. I was thinking Federal Hydra-Shoks, but the Federal website doesn't say they make Hydra's in .44 special. I very much like the feel of this one, though.
Thanks for the replies.

KR

Ky Rifle
I to am looking real hard at a .44 special.
The ammo I've found so far is from: Hornady custom180gr, CCI lawman 200gr, Corbon165gr, Black hills cowboy load 210 lead and I think winchester. I will reload for practice with Berry's 180gr electroplated bullets and 5.5 gr of bullseye. The gun is a Taurus which dosent have a dovetailed front sight but I know a very compentent gunsmith in the area who can install a night sight.
Any thoughts on a CCW holster?
Cajun

Northwest Cajun...

Thoughts on a CCW holster? YES! Ron Graham makes a good belt model called the "Roswell".
Really good guy to deal with too.

KR

Northwest,

Is that gunsmith around Lafayette? I am in Baton Rouge and the guy that used to do all my work over here got out of it.

(Sorry it took so long...)

No, I've not fired a G27. G23, yes. The lightweight revolver has a `sharper' recoil; it's not heavier, but you can tell the gun is accelerating more quickly. Of course, I have no way of measuring this, but found myself remembering the sensations I'd get when shooting different long bows.

[This didn't make much sense the way I first wrote it...]
Generally speaking, I feel that light bullets are better suited for light revolvers. For example, [in 38/357,] I wouldn't think of launching 180gr bullets out of a mid-weight revolver - let alone something like a J frame. In the case of the J Fame, I think 125gr is about the most I'd go. (Except for gallery loads: light loads under 148gr WCs, then.) And I don't think that the lightweight guns are intended to take a lot of pounding. I could be wrong, but I smply can't imagine that these can be as sturdy and durable as a hefty Ruger.

[For this 44SPL] S&W recommends nothing heavier that 200gr bullets. The Winchester Silvertips come in at that weight and that's what I keep in it. I've loaded up some light charge 200gr SWCs for practice, and that little revolver performs just fine with them. No problems to report.

Personally, I think 44SPL is an ideal self defense round. A hammerless revolver that can deliver multiple shots while still in your pocket makes it about ideal.

I fitted some Pacymayer Compacs to mine. It makes it a little larger (Well, it started out much larger than my J frame (which my wife decided wanted to travel around with her.) but it points much better and allows me to deliver multiple rounds more accurately.

Last edited:
Back